Should I Buy a USB Microphone?

keith.rogers

Bobby'); DROP TABLE USER
What if I used the USB dynamic mic by itself in the 4i4 using just one of the XLR inputs?
Unless your dynamic USB mic has the ability to also work as a regular (analog) mic, and has an XLR connector itself, you likely will not be able to use both the USB mic and 4i4 at the same time. It's not the number of microphones that's the problem, it's the number of USB audio devices you'd have to configure.

As noted, Mac's allow creating an "aggregate" USB audio device, but I don't believe that capability is part of Windows, so would rely on the DAW and devices drivers to all work together.

Eric V

Unless your dynamic USB mic has the ability to also work as a regular (analog) mic, and has an XLR connector itself, you likely will not be able to use both the USB mic and 4i4 at the same time. It's not the number of microphones that's the problem, it's the number of USB audio devices you'd have to configure.

As noted, Mac's allow creating an "aggregate" USB audio device, but I don't believe that capability is part of Windows, so would rely on the DAW and devices drivers to all work together.
I think that it has the capability to act as an analog mic, it came with an XLR mic cable and it also has the capability to connect headphones into it, which is a nice feature too. Here it is:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001R747SG?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-05-03 133735.png
    Screenshot 2021-05-03 133735.png
    137.3 KB · Views: 3

keith.rogers

Bobby'); DROP TABLE USER
I think that it has the capability to act as an analog mic, it came with an XLR mic cable and it also has the capability to connect headphones into it, which is a nice feature too. Here it is:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001R747SG?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
Well, that should work going into the 4i4 as a regular microphone.

As a dynamic mic, it will need more gain than a condenser mic, and the condenser will require 48v phantom power, while a dynamic mic will not need or use it. Once you've got the gain adjusted so they have about the same volume level, you can record each and see how they compare.

You will set the 4i4 as both the input and output device on your computer, and plug your headphones into that. The headphone jack on the dynamic mic will not work unless it is being used as a USB mic, and it is set as the output device on the computer.

Eric V

Well, that should work going into the 4i4 as a regular microphone.

As a dynamic mic, it will need more gain than a condenser mic, and the condenser will require 48v phantom power, while a dynamic mic will not need or use it. Once you've got the gain adjusted so they have about the same volume level, you can record each and see how they compare.

You will set the 4i4 as both the input and output device on your computer, and plug your headphones into that. The headphone jack on the dynamic mic will not work unless it is being used as a USB mic, and it is set as the output device on the computer.
Cool, thanks.