should I buy a gibson les paul studio or a gibson les paul standard ?

lol. i'm not, dude. i was trying to drive the point home for the OP.
Alright, no worries then. We are definitely agreed that he should go try some, since there's really no way to tell if you're going to like a particular guitar until you play it.

Yeah, what's most important is the finish. Sunbursts usually have the best tone :cool:

Are you making that up or are you serious? I have wondered if paint vs natural finish would make a difference, but I can't imagine it would be more important than the actual wood.

Are you making that up or are you serious? I have wondered if paint vs natural finish would make a difference, but I can't imagine it would be more important than the actual wood.

That was pretty much a joke. Although on cheap instruments, sometimes a sunburst covers up many layers of plywood & joined boards . . . although paint can do that too. Whether or not that really matters . . . eh . . . ask mutts, I dunno :confused:

Two-tone bursts sound better than three-tone, and tobacco bursts sound best...they have that "vintage" tone.... :cool:

There is more than one flavor of Standard. The "Standard" has a chambered body while the "Standard Traditional" has the solid, weight-relieved body. To get an actual solid body LP you have to get a Custom Shop model, I think.
Or an old one. My early 70's custom has a solid body, and I've got the sore shoulder to prove it. :D

IMO if you find a used les paul studio for $500 to $800 it will always be worth that much if you take care of it.

Ditto on a standard...you can get a nice used one for $1200 to $1500 and it will always be worth that much.

I bought a used les paul studio for $500 and put the '59 PAF pickups on it (another $200..but I already had them, they were in a flying V) So, I have a really great playing and sounding LP for $700 total. It has the fireburst finish and gold hardware without binding and I really like the look of it.

If you like the look of a binded les paul body with a MOP gibson logo on the headstock then I say cough up the extra money on the initial investment to get the standard. If you keep it 5 years and play it only one hour a day the $1000 difference translates into only .55 cents an hour.
Is it worth .55 cents an hour to have the LP you want and not the one you have to settle for?
To me it would be.

Like I said...it will hold it's value so you can recoup your money if you ever decide to move it on down the line.

If you like the non-binded look of the LP studio and like the tone then I think you should save on the initial investment and get a LP studio.

Back