should I buy a gibson les paul studio or a gibson les paul standard ?

Well, that's a big help. :rolleyes: :spank: :p :D :drunk:

No, it's actually good advice. If the OP is wanting a standard, but looking at the studio because it costs more, I think he should get the standard.

IOW, don't put other people in the position of having to tell you what you want. Get the guitar that you want to get, and damn the consequences.

No, it's actually good advice. If the OP is wanting a standard, but looking at the studio because it costs more, I think he should get the standard.

IOW, don't put other people in the position of having to tell you what you want. Get the guitar that you want to get, and damn the consequences.

It's great advice and you know I think so.

I have never understood why people will ask a bunch of total strangers what they should like or how they should think.

The OP just needs to follow his gut. Hell, he may even end up with a Telecaster, who knows?

Honestly, I'm not convinced there's any reason to buy an LP Studio over an Epiphone LP Standard (well, a well-built Epiphone). If you read up on the Gibson web site, the Studios and Standards use different woods--I'm not talking about quality, I'm talking about the actual type of wood. Of course, they also come with different pickups. So it's still a Gibson, but it's not really the same guitar except in shape. That's why you really have to try them out and see which one you like better. I have "The Paul" from 1979 and I wouldn't trade it for anything but a really expensive LP because the cheaper ones just don't compare.

Honestly, I'm not convinced there's any reason to buy an LP Studio over an Epiphone LP Standard (well, a well-built Epiphone). If you read up on the Gibson web site, the Studios and Standards use different woods--I'm not talking about quality, I'm talking about the actual type of wood. Of course, they also come with different pickups. So it's still a Gibson, but it's not really the same guitar except in shape. That's why you really have to try them out and see which one you like better. I have "The Paul" from 1979 and I wouldn't trade it for anything but a really expensive LP because the cheaper ones just don't compare.

What what and what?

Different wood? Mahogany with a maple top. I think you are confusing the $600 special faded lite catchphrase models with the actual "Les Paul Studio".

Do you really think BBs are the most authentic "LP" pickup? Just because something is supposed to be more like the PAF doesn't give it more validity. The pickups in the Studio were used in Standards for years and years and years. I would venture to say many famous players have had them in their guitars. I am not saying there are not better pickups nowadays, but its joke of a statement to refer to them as somehow lesser.

If you really want to use that arguement, a late 1970's Les Paul is actually probably less of a Les Paul than a Studio made today. Those were not Gibsons best years by all historic accounts.

What what and what?

Different wood? Mahogany with a maple top. I think you are confusing the $600 special faded lite catchphrase models with the actual "Les Paul Studio".

Do you really think BBs are the most authentic "LP" pickup? Just because something is supposed to be more like the PAF doesn't give it more validity. The pickups in the Studio were used in Standards for years and years and years. I would venture to say many famous players have had them in their guitars. I am not saying there are not better pickups nowadays, but its joke of a statement to refer to them as somehow lesser.

If you really want to use that arguement, a late 1970's Les Paul is actually probably less of a Les Paul than a Studio made today. Those were not Gibsons best years by all historic accounts.
Well, you're right about the wood. I'm not arguing that one pickup is better than the others, I'm just saying that they're different. The Standard does have a chambered body, though, while the Studio has a solid body. They may also have slightly different types of maple tops, but don't quote me on that.

As for the '70s Gibsons, whatever the general consensus may be, I like my "The Paul" at least as well as any current Epiphone or Gibson under $2000, though there is some darkness (midrange, I guess) that I have to EQ out on the amp.

As for the '70s Gibsons, whatever the general consensus may be, I like my "The Paul" at least as well as any current Epiphone or Gibson under $2000, though there is some darkness (midrange, I guess) that I have to EQ out on the amp.

and you bought it on ebay before you played it, right?

No, I bought it in a local store after trying out many other guitars, just like I--and most others--are suggesting the OP do. I have had it for almost 7 years now and haven't had much desire to own any other guitar. I can say that I like it better than the current models because when I was thinking about other guitars, I tried out just about every similar guitar I could get my hands on. Why are you antagonizing me?

No, I bought it in a local store after trying out many other guitars, just like I--and most others--are suggesting the OP do.

right. post #4:

no. don't buy a guitar you haven't played.

go play some guitars. buy the one that feels and sounds the best for what you'll be using it for. it doesn't matter if it's a studio or a standard.

Why are you antagonizing me?

lol. i'm not, dude. i was trying to drive the point home for the OP.

The Standard does have a chambered body, though, while the Studio has a solid body. They may also have slightly different types of maple tops, but don't quote me on that.
There is more than one flavor of Standard. The "Standard" has a chambered body while the "Standard Traditional" has the solid, weight-relieved body. To get an actual solid body LP you have to get a Custom Shop model, I think.

Back