Shock mounts and the AKG C3000B

MrZekeMan

I am a newbie. I don't even have my machine yet. I ordered a VS-2480. As soon as it hit's the store shelves they are supposed to ship me one.

I also got a really good deal on a AKG C3000B and a Shure SM-57. I've read nothing but good things about the Shure, but I would like some input on the AKG. What do you guys think? Is it a decent mic?

I also want to ask a dumb question. What exactly does a shock mount do? How critical is it to have one for recording?

Thanks for the help,
Zeke

Yo Zeke from Bogart's Creek:]

[it means nothing; it just popped into my brain.]

The AKG 3000 is a decent mic. It has three choices of performance, the ballpoint pen switch on the mic. I think all the way left is the one you would use the most; I don't like mics with switches but I did some nice stuff with the 3000.

For less money I bought a Yorkville mic; it cost half of the 3000 and is five times clearer. You can check out Yorkville on the net.

A shock mount is a long piece of elastic string configured like a spider's web; the mic rests within the elastic on a metal mount to protect the mic from bumps or floor feet tapping or whatever. Fancy looking and my Yorkville came with one.

Hope this helps Zeke.

Green Hornet

Back