"Shade Fails" - Rock tune in progress

famous beagle

Hey y'all,

I just finished all the guitars last night for one of two full songs that will appear at the end of a DIY Home Recording book and wanted to get opinions. The only thing that’s left on this is the vocals and then the mix. This one’s just an all-out, bare-bones rock tune (I was thinking Black Crowes/Tom Petty), whereas the other one with be an acoustic ballad with more of a fully-fleshed out production with some MIDI instruments, etc.

I jus wanted to get a few other ears before I move on to see if it's sounding in the ballpark, etc.

Thanks for any comments!

Attachments

• Shade Fails - Pre Vocals Rough Mix.mp3
    4.4 MB
Very nice. Can't wait to hear the vocals. Hard to judge some of the stuff without the vox, but everything so far sounds crisp and clean.

The only nit I have is that I felt some of the panned guitar fills should have been panned center. Like the fills at 1:03 and 1:13 and 1:18 I thought should be played by the guitar that comes in at 1:48. Of course with the vocals it might sound completely different. Quite tasty overall. And I'm listening on headphones, so the panning is quite pronounced.

Rhythm guitars sound great. Bass is sitting right. The bass' low end might a little too strong.

Drums sound good. Hats might be a little loud in the mix. Love the kick.

Good start.

Back