Set up Home Studio - Fostex MR8

jhughs

Well, I WAS planning on setting up a home studio centered around my PC but then realized what a horrible recording environment it's in (too much extraneous noise and the PC itself is noisy).

What I'm thinking now is to get something portable, like the Fostex MR8, and self powered condenser mikes (or dynamic) so I can record in another part of the house and then do the final mix and production on the PC.

I'm recording myself (guitar (electric, acoustic, classical and dobro)) and, the real driver for this, my daughter who plays violin and is now a better musician than I am. I'm thinking the Fostex MR8 or something similar would be good because then I can take it to record recitals and fiddle contests. (Same goes for the microphones.)

Any thoughts on using the Fostex MR8 or similar products just to get the recorded image? Any advice on microphones for guitar & violin?

I use an MR 8 currently, its great for that type of situation.

We use a Behringer mixer with it to add more mics etc & to get phantom power to our condensor mics. Especially since the MR8 has no EQ control on it.

I then transfer the WAV files to the PC and mix everything in the PC using Kristal.

Mr 8

I also use the MR 8 and a Beheringer mixer, and it works well. The only thing I would suggest to start is get a larger CF Memory card. It only comes with 128MBs and will not let you record a whole song that you have to edit. I got a 512 MB CF card and it is great.

Thanks - thoughts on microphones?

Thanks. I'm wondering about microphones though. Using condenser mikes with the need for phantom power and a pre-amp (or mixing board) kind of weighs the whole setup down. I was thinking if I got a portable recorder that I'd use it for live events too (where I won't have access to the venue's sound system to tap into it).

Would a dynamic mike work well? Or, are there battery powered phantom power supplies / preamps that would work for a condenser mike? (Or should I ask this type of question on the Microphones forum?)

Have same setup here. Both dynamic and condensor mics will work. Condensor seem to be more sensitive, which can be bad or good depending on what you are recording.

Many Behringer mixers have phantum power built in, so that can help.

I have the 512MB card, which works well for the typical small project.

Ed

$$$$

if your like me....money will determine what you get...but always go for the best!!! this applies also/your search for a mate!! i set around with a little $75 recording hardware..and i have a blast!!! ..(ps 2) this is my world also...and i can play in it...later roy

Back