Set up Help

Guitars2k4

Hi… Brand new to this forum… and after reading through some of it… I’m impressed… so thanks in advance for any help you can give me…

First… here is my equipment list…
1. M-Audio Audiophile 2496 Sound Card
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Audiophile2496-main.html
2. Cakewalk Home Studio Version 2
http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/HomeStudio/default.asp
3. Line 6 PodXT Live
http://www.line6.com/podxtlive
4. M-Audio BX8 studio monitors
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/BX8-main.html

I have a couple questions that are intertwined. So here goes nothing. I have been recording guitar, vocals and bass with my PodXT Live via an USB cable. However, I’m experiencing a lot of pops and clicks from this method. I just purchased the Audiophile sound card and the M-Audio studio monitors. I plan to record the PodXT Live still but not from the USB cable (to try to eliminate the pops and clicks). I’m kind of confused on how to set this up.

PodXT Live > Sound Card > Studio Monitors ?

I’ve read in other forums that it would be smart to throw a mixer in there to monitor the recording sound and the playback tracks to avoid latency from my sound card. I don’t understand how to do this. If I do the PodXT live stereo out to the mixer and monitors and then take the out from my sound card to the mixer how does my recording signal from the PodXTlive get to my computer? I’ve learned there are two types of mixers, passive and active, which do I need? When I plug my podxt live into the computer via USB I don’t need a power amp, but if I want to play it with a live band I have to plug it into a power amplifier or into the effects loop return of a guitar amp, so will I need to amplify this signal coming from my PodXT live to the (mixer or soundcard). Do I need to have the power mixer to amplify the signal coming from my soundcard to the monitor? My monitors say they have their own power. I’ve consulted my owner’s manual for the PODxt live and it isn’t much help. Is anyone familiar with a set up like this? Is there a smarter way to do this? Can anyone suggest a type or style of mixer that would suit me well, if in fact I need one?

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Ok, It sounds pretty much correct from what your saying, so the pops and clicks could be...well anything. You want to plug your guitar/mic into the PodXT, run that into your soundcard, and then run your monitors direct out of your soundcard.

Whats the spec of your computer? Latency is caused by the speed (or lack of) of transferring audio, therefore, if its not going fast enough you can run into a bit of trouble.

Using a mixer doesnt reduce latency, and there is no real need for you to get one unless you have lots of cash to spend and dont know what to spend it on! :D

So yeah, get back to us with your computer specs and hopefully someone should be able to figure it out for you!

Good luck!

so I don't need to amplify my sound at any point? Are you familiar with the Podxt live? my understanding was that the Podxt Live serves as a sound card.... so am I being counter productive by plugging it into a soundcard? as far as having tons of cash... I just spent it all on this audiophile 2496 soundcard and the monitors!!! ha!...

Here are my specs... let me know if I left a spec out that you needed...

HP Pavillioin 8765C
Windows 2000 Professional
1/2 Gig memory

I tried to figure out what the processor speed was.. but can't seem to find it... and I'm not real computer savvy...

Any advice?

My understanding was that the PodXT was an effects unit? I just looked it up and i cant see anywhere where it says its a soundacard, although i could be wrong.

Your computer seems fine, it shouldnt be causing any problems with your recordings. I think the first thing to do is try and find out if its any of your hardware which is causing the clicks and pops. Try plugging your guitar directly into your soundcard and record a few lines. If that still pops and clicks then do the same again using a different cable.

Let us know the result. Hopefully someone on here might have experienced the same problem and will post the answer! :)

It is the podxt Live that is popping and clicking... it is an effects unit and amp simulator... see below about the pops and clicks...

From Line 6 Product Development and Engineering.
We are aware of and are actively investigating audio integrity problems (i.e. "pops and clicks", bursts of white noise) that occur for some customers when using Line 6 USB devices as audio interfaces for computer-based audio recording and playback. While we do not at this time have an update that eliminates these anomalies, there are several things that we can say about this situation:

- We have reproduced the problem in-house using newer computers. Data we've collected so far indicates the problem might stem from design details specific to the motherboard USB chipset of these newer computers. We are still investigating.

- In our research of USB audio interfaces from other manufacturers, we see that this problem is not unique to Line 6 devices.

- In every case we have encountered, adding an aftermarket USB card to the computer (PCI for desktop systems, PCMCIA for laptops) and connecting to it instead of the computer's built-in USB eliminates these audio artifacts. A USB card is relatively inexpensive (about $20 - $40) and offers additional improvements to the performance of your system - especially if you are using a USB hub.

As noted above, we are actively looking into this problem, and continue to look for solutions. When any updates are available that improve or eliminate this problem, we will make them available through the Line 6 Monkey software and in future product releases.

I was gonna just totally avoid the whole usb thing and take the 1/4" outs to the computer... I tried doing this with my old soundcard (which only had two inputs) the line input I didn't get a signal... and the mic input my signal was way way too high...

Thats bad, although at least you know what the problem is. Is it only when your recording the guitar using the pod when it pops and clicks? You might want to run your guitar into the pod and then into an amp. Having a nice clear sound from there, you could mic the amp up and record it running from your mic into your soundcard. That could work?

Hopefully Line 6 should have a new driver update soon enough for you,

Good luck and have fun!

Peace

Back