separate tracks from mixer

flomman

I have purchased my microphones and a Mackie ProFX8 mixer. I am recording into Reaper on a Windows 7 64bit fairly high-end laptop. Obviously the Mackie mixer is connected to the laptop by USB. The problem I'm having is that all the mics are coming into Reaper in one signal (is that the right word?). I wanted to have each mic on a separate track, but every track has every mic on it. Does anyone know how I can cause the channels of the mixer to enter the laptop and stay as separate channels?

they cannot be adjusted to other different tracks at all, you need to look for them before making any changes and play it on the same track only...

Reading the Mackie page for that mixer, it doesn't have the ability to split out individual tracks to the USB connection, just a stereo mix.

Wrong tool for the job if you're recording more than 2 inputs at a time...

With this mixer you only have a stereo output via USB. You should be able to get two discrete input signals into Reaper by panning the mixer left and right, and assigning the inputs in Reaper. Well, if the Mackie driver will allow you....

This is a common misconception by those who do not know what they are buying. Just because a mixer had multiple inputs, does not mean it sends them all separately to a DAW via USB. Sorry man. :(

Thanks everyone for your replies! What a bummer :facepalm: Can anyone suggest what would be a better solution? What should I have bought to do the job I want?

Hi!
Bummer, indeed.
You'd need an audio interface with discreet outputs over firewire/usb/whatever.
For all-in-one boxes, look at tascam us16**/18** or presonus firestudio/FP10 for examples.
Each input on these units is recognised independently by your computer.

Your mixer doesn't appear to have direct analog outputs per channel, but if it did you could have picked up an audio interface with multiple line inputs: Echo audiofire 8/12 for example.

Hope that's useful.

First off, have a read of THIS Sticky to decide if you really need a mixer. If not, have a thought about a Tascam US 1800 interface. They're mighty popular round these parts!

If it must be a mixer, be prepared to spend rather more. The Presonus Studiolive 16:0:2 would do what you want. Or have a look at the Allen and Heath Zed R series--lovely sounding mixers. However, both these are well beyond what you spent for the Mackie.

Alas, I don't know of any economy mixers that feed more than the main stereo mix via USB.

Thanks Bobbsy for your reply. The mixers are indeed out of my price range, but the Tascam looks interesting. What I want does not have to be USB. The only thing was that I don't know a whole lot about recording, and USB seemed the easiest way to go. I just assumed it would do what I wanted...alas I was wrong.

So I assume that there is nothing I can do with this mixer to achieve what I want - I mean there is no third piece of equipment which I can insert between the mixer and the computer even if I forget the USB route and do it some other way? What are the options if I do not go via USB?

I really should have come somewhere like this before I purchased!

So I assume that there is nothing I can do with this mixer to achieve what I want - I mean there is no third piece of equipment which I can insert between the mixer and the computer even if I forget the USB route and do it some other way? What are the options if I do not go via USB?

I really should have come somewhere like this before I purchased!

No. I haven't scrutinised the routing options, but that mixer doens't have direct outs per channel so it's not really ideal.
Usb connection on an interface doesn't necessarily mean Stereo summed. It just happens that your mixer is limited and USB, but the two aren't linked.

Something like the tascam will give you discreet I/O over USB.

Common connection options (probably in order) are USB, Firewire and pci/pcie.

How many mic inputs do you need? Do you need any line level inputs? (Line level is things like electric pianos, CD players, etc.)

I've just done a count and the Mackie mixer only has 4 mic inputs anyway. If that's sufficient, then you might get away with an even smaller interface than the US 1800 (though having 8 is always fun for the day you decide to record a drum kit or a small band).

BTW, the reason I was looking at the mixer was just to be sure on your "is there nothing I can do" question--and the answer is no. There is a real bodge you can use with some mixers by putting a quarter inch jack in the insert sockets only to the first click--but even this is out since there are only inserts on the first two inputs so you're no better off than using the main outs.

The other thing to say is that, if you want to use at least two channels while you think about things, use the pan controls on the first two mic channels...one all the way right and the other all the way left. You'll have to tell Reaper to record into two channels rather than a single stereo channel (I'm not a Reaper user but that should be easy) and then at least you get two separate mics.

If you do go ahead and use the mixer as your interface (for the time being) with Bobbsy's instructions of panning one mic left and one right, note that you want to keep the USB control turned no more than half way - any higher and you will get a high-pitched whine in the sound. This is a problem with many USB mixers with inexpensive A-to-D converters (I've got the ProFX12, so I know!) Incidentally, the Mackie only has 16 bit conversion, too.

okay, for the most part I'm fine with one mic. I am almost exclusively recording the spoken voice. For this, the mixer is, in fact, fine - if a little overkill. However, there are times when I have needed more mics - up to four. I use this for recording singing - acapella/choral type singing. for this it would be really helpful to be able to go back after recording and tweak the levels on the individual voices. Clearly this is not possible with everything being combined into one track.

okay, for the most part I'm fine with one mic. I am almost exclusively recording the spoken voice. For this, the mixer is, in fact, fine - if a little overkill. However, there are times when I have needed more mics - up to four. I use this for recording singing - acapella/choral type singing. for this it would be really helpful to be able to go back after recording and tweak the levels on the individual voices. Clearly this is not possible with everything being combined into one track.
No, but you could get 2 voices on 1st track (left) and 2 voices on 2nd track (right).

that's true, but I suppose that in that case, if I export as a mastered stereo file that I will have to have one track panned to the right and the other to the left. That will not result in a very balanced recording will it?

It doesn't work like that.

If you forget the mixer business, what you have is a two channel audio interface.
There are two separate paths out of the mixer and the computer will see them as either L+R, or 1+2, depending.

If you recorded, say, stereo acoustic guitar and panned mic 1 hard left and mic 2 hard right on the mixer, the computer will record them separately as long as you set the DAW up correctly.

You'll be recording those inputs to two separate tracks, and by default those tracks will have their pans set straight down the middle.
Where you chose to put them after that is up to you.

Even if you did this using channels 3+4 of the mixer, it still just translates to left and right, and the result in your DAW is the same, whereas with a tascam us or presonus you'd need to tell the DAW to 'listen' on 3+4, see?

To expand on what Steenamaroo said, if you send separate left and right tracks from the mixer and record them into two mono tracks on your DAW, both will initially be panned centrally. However, within the DAW you can manipulate them both separately, adding EQ, effects, changing levels...and, indeed, panning them where you want prior to the mix. This is exactly how it would work with a two channel or multichannel interface as well.

Wow, thanks for the clear explanations! I understand much better what my situation is now. Will muddle along for the moment with what I have, but am definitely thinking about getting an audio interface in the future.

To answer the original questions; you'll need a desk with direct outs. This means that each channel is sending directly to whatever tool you use for recording.
A soundcard with eight inputs could be what you're looking for, lots of them have phantom power too.

Alesis Multimix 16 USB2 sends 16 separate channels to your computer via USB. I bought mine for 300 US

For the 4 mixer channels on your Mackie that have inserts, you can plug in a cable into the insert jack "to the first click" (plug it 1/2 way into the jack) and that insert will function like a direct out. So if you do get an audio interface with at least 4 line inputs, you can have 4 discrete preamplified outputs from your mixer.

I think most audio interfaces have preamps built in nowadays. But this trick was a huge deal for me when I was using a Yamaha MG102 mixer with my Delta44 interface.

Back