Sennheiser e906 vs Shure SM-57...

drbluezz

...What would the e906 have that the SM-57 wouldn't for micing a guitar amp? I have two SM-57s and a Royer-122. Would the e906 sound better along with the Royer vs the SM-57? I play straight/traditional electric blues and jump/swing blues and jazz through tweed based amps. For guitars I mainly use Teles but also use Strats, and an archtop and Les Paul, both with P-90 pickups. Thanks for your comments.

Tom

Search, there's loads of threads about this.

It's pretty much personal preference. Different people like different tones.

Search, there's loads of threads about this.

It's pretty much personal preference. Different people like different tones.

Already did the search. I know all about personal preference. I'm looking for a comparison between an SM-57 combined with either a Royer-122 (since I have one) or another ribbon mic, or an e906 combined with a Royer-122 or another ribbon mic. I'm trying to decide whether I should purchase an e906 to go with my SM-57s. Would it be a redundant purchase or not? Would I be gaining anything by such a purchase? Is there anything else I should be looking at to go with the Royer-122? Thanks.

Tom

actually we were recording guitars throug single rectifier last weekend and we had shure sm57 & sennheiser e606 and i gotta say e606 was better ... sound with 57 had a bit too highs ... e606 gave it balls which were missing with 57. a definitely recommend sennheiser.

actually we were recording guitars throug single rectifier last weekend and we had shure sm57 & sennheiser e606 and i gotta say e606 was better ... sound with 57 had a bit too highs ... e606 gave it balls which were missing with 57. a definitely recommend sennheiser.

Thank you so much. That's what I was looking for. Anyone else have experience with the e906?

Tom

Last edited:
Thank you so much. That's what I was looking for. Anyone else have experience with the e906?

Tom
if you feel interested, i recorded intro from "right side of bed" by "atreyu" on both of the mics to find out which one's better.. i could post it here

I'm not ripping on the 609, but I've seen a lot of people report that the e609 can be too tinny and thin at times, and that the sm57 has more of the low end presence to it. But then I also see just the opposite, like from your thread.

It all really comes down to how you use them, what other equipment and settings you use with the mics, and what environment you're recording in.

ok here are those two very raw(!) records, used just to pick the better mic. E606 sounded much better to us.. and seemed to be better for future equalizing

dawnon.wz.cz/bed/e606.wav
dawnon.wz.cz/bed/sm57.wav

Mesa Single Rec. + some old crappy line 6 box (tried on some others, this line 6 played best =-O ) + PRS SE Custom

I'm not ripping on the 609, but I've seen a lot of people report that the e609 can be too tinny and thin at times, and that the sm57 has more of the low end presence to it. But then I also see just the opposite, like from your thread..
That's most likely because people are describing either the cheaper, silver, newer e609 - which apparently sounds thin (i haven't tried it yet) or the older, black e609, which sounds quite thick and warm (I own one of those and even recorded a jazz-kickdrum with it with quite nice results.), without mentioning whether their e609 is the silver or black version.

That's most likely because people are describing either the cheaper, silver, newer e609 - which apparently sounds thin (i haven't tried it yet) or the older, black e609, which sounds quite thick and warm (I own one of those and even recorded a jazz-kickdrum with it with quite nice results.), without mentioning whether their e609 is the silver or black version.

I don't know the older one, but I'll bet this is it. I've got the newer, silver one, and while it can be useful, I'd never describe as thick. It's always scooped with an emphasis on the highs compared to a 57 or even an i5. Like I said, that can be useful at times, but I'd never confuse it for a darker, or thicker mic...

My point was that I've heard a huge variety of opinions on the mic, the silver version included. It may just be that the manufacturer is very inconsistent with their production. I dunno. Some people say it sounds too thin, some people say it's an excellent mic (specifically talking about the silver one).

Sennheiser e906 vs Shure SM-57

The subject title reads: "e906", but you writ e606 here and other people write e609. This is very confusing. Which microphone are you actually referring to?

I don't know the older one, but I'll bet this is it. I've got the newer, silver one, and while it can be useful, I'd never describe as thick. It's always scooped with an emphasis on the highs compared to a 57 or even an i5. Like I said, that can be useful at times, but I'd never confuse it for a darker, or thicker mic...
Are you referring to an e609 or an e906, which is what is asked about in the original subject? This is very hard to follow and understand when people are switching the names between e906, e609 and e606.

Back