Selling the family home...

Really nice area of the state. Does it have a view of Ascutney?

Not to far from RT. 100 ..... my all time favorite drive in New England (In the summer ;)).

Yep. Full frontal of Ascutney. We owned the mountain in the late 1950s and 19602. My father started Mt. Ascutney Ski Area and with his a business partner, Bob Ely, built the main chair lift. At the time we called the lift line Miller's Mile, as it, well, was a mile long and a guy named Miller owned the concrete construction company that did the major work and was a major investor. I was a ski area brat and learned to ski about the same time as I could walk. All five of us were involved in running the place in the early days.

The world's first man made snow happened in back of my dad's machine shop in Windsor. Ely had been trying to do this for a while and one cold day was messing with the air/water pressure, machining nozzles and trying to atomize the stuff just enough for it to freeze. Nothing worked - just ice or water - and he went inside for lunch, forgetting to shut off the diesel powered air compressor. While he was inside the temperature dropped from 30 to about 24 or 25 in a few minutes. He remembered the compressor was still running and ran out to shut it off. Everything was covered with snow and the stuff was flying out the nozzle like crazy. Happened right on Depot Ave in Windsor Vermont, about five hundred feet from what is now the railroad station restaurant.

Here's a pic of the house.

096a8a5df8da3371b7df9002903700e39c84027606.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: XLR
Yep. Full frontal of Ascutney. We owned the mountain in the late 1950s and 19602. My father started Mt. Ascutney Ski Area and with his a business partner, Bob Ely, built the main chair lift. At the time we called the lift line Miller's Mile, as it, well, was a mile long and a guy named Miller owned the concrete construction company that did the major work and was a major investor. I was a ski area brat and learned to ski about the same time as I could walk. All five of us were involved in running the place in the early days.

The world's first man made snow happened in back of my dad's machine shop in Windsor. Ely had been trying to do this for a while and one cold day was messing with the air/water pressure, machining nozzles and trying to atomize the stuff just enough for it to freeze. Nothing worked - just ice or water - and he went inside for lunch, forgetting to shut off the diesel powered air compressor. While he was inside the temperature dropped from 30 to about 24 or 25 in a few minutes. He remembered the compressor was still running and ran out to shut it off. Everything was covered with snow and the stuff was flying out the nozzle like crazy. Happened right on Depot Ave in Windsor Vermont, about five hundred feet from what is now the railroad station restaurant.

Here's a pic of the house.

View attachment 66236

Very cool story Treeline ..... so you must be old enough to remember "the top hat" Bar, later owned by Bill Henney "moguls" who now works at Ascutney.

Back