"Selkie" - Folk acoustic track

I would have shaped the lead vocal differently - added more depth to the lead and backing vocals - generally mix it a little more upfront - those are
stylistic ideas mostly - it's a choice to make.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not completely happy with my vocal treatment, so I'll take your advice into consideration for sure!

Seems like her voice could be louder.
Actually, I thought the voice level was fine until the 0.40 when instruments got added and everything got loud and sort of drownedout the voice a bit. I wouldn't have made the incoming instruments so loud. The voice is the star of this show, not the supporting instruments.

I think what you did with this mix is what I do all the time - I try to make *everything* as heard as possible. Things get crowded then.

Last edited:
Actually, I thought the voice level was fine until the 0.40 when instruments got added and everything got loud and sort of drownedout the voice a bit. I wouldn't have made the incoming instruments so loud. The voice is the star of this show, not the supporting instruments.

I think what you did with this mix is what I do all the time - I try to make *everything* as heard as possible. Things get crowded then.
Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try!

Thanks again!
You bet! I think you and your wife could create a great slow-folk cover version of Big Log by Robert Plant. Victor Krauss recorded a great version with his sister Alison for one of his albums, and he also performed it live on stage with the late Jill Walsh. I could easily hear you guys performing this one. Your wife's voice is much stronger than Jill's.

Love the song and the recording is lovely! some great advice above on vocal tweaks
but its really enjoyable as is. if you release this I would certainly add it to my playlist :-)

Missed this. Very nice!

Your (?) harmony vocal doesn't quite nestle in to my ear, maybe a bit closer interval, or another part in there? But, I'm not a vocalist by any stretch, so take that with a large grain of salt...

Missed this. Very nice!

Your (?) harmony vocal doesn't quite nestle in to my ear, maybe a bit closer interval, or another part in there? But, I'm not a vocalist by any stretch, so take that with a large grain of salt...
Thanks for the listen and suggestion! I'll check it out.

(That's not me on harmony vocals.) My only contribution to the album is a little guitar and mandolin here and there (although not on this song) and mixing/mastering.

This is quite nice. Is it original? Kind of Americana. Gillian Welch arena. I'm fine with the mix as is. I might have spread some things a little wider, but it's all artistic choices. Good work.

Edit: I took a second listen and I withdraw my comment about the spread.

Back