Seeking tips on hanging my "mini booth" acoustic blanket?

keithpurtell

I'm making a mini booth for recording vocals and instruments that rely on the mic to get a signal into my software. I have one of the popular black/white acoustic blankets with grommets along one side. This will be suspended from the ceiling. Looking for a way to attach the grommets to a circular track, I had to reject one product intended for this purpose because of its high price. I found an oval rod that will probably work (see link below) with some modification. Just wondering if anyone who has taken this approach might offer warnings or tips?

Amazon.com: Zenith 34941 Hoop Shower Rod, White: Home Improvement

Are you using it to make a booth?

Use the 36" round one.

Hey, a better way to use the blanket would be as a separation between your 2 A B recording mics. That way it will go BI nural.

Last edited:
I believe I saw it in the link. Similar products.

That one is x by 24" wide, that enough? read in comments, dimensions.

Im not sure how much you are going to like the result either way. Do you have a good room, front room or hall to record in? I think if you re in a problem area a mini booth is better than nothing. With the size and convience of a DAW go someplace that sounds nice.

I'm making a mini booth for recording vocals and instruments that rely on the mic to get a signal into my software. I have one of the popular black/white acoustic blankets with grommets along one side. This will be suspended from the ceiling. Looking for a way to attach the grommets to a circular track, I had to reject one product intended for this purpose because of its high price. I found an oval rod that will probably work (see link below) with some modification. Just wondering if anyone who has taken this approach might offer warnings or tips?

Amazon.com: Zenith 34941 Hoop Shower Rod, White: Home Improvement

I remember seeing that type of thing over the old bathtub in student apartment (roach hotel) places I lived in 35+ years ago!
Rather than hang one of those ugly things, why not just put some eye hooks into the ceiling? They only make a small hole which is easy to spackle up when you no longer use this method.
Or build a simple PVC pipe frame to suspend the moving blankets (they are NOT acoustic blankets!) with big clips.

Mike, I should have clarified that the topmost connection will be an eye hook or similar. This oval or circle is to spread out the blanket so I can step into the rectangular/circular/whatever enclosure and have sound absorbing on most sides. Except where mic stand set up. The blanket I bought is about 80 inches long on grommet end, and original link I posted is for product with about 90 inches total length I think. Should work OK for a start.

What?! It's not an acoustic blanket as advertised? I been robbed. Another greenhorn gets dinged.

Forget the shower rod thing, just put more hooks in the ceiling, or build Tim's PVC frame. yeah, its a moving blanket. Hopefully you didn't pay more than Harbor Freight charges for them.

Back