seeking intro to vintage speakers and amplification on the cheap

Maldoror

i got a teac A-3440 and i need to find some speakers and amplification for it. I don't know anything about what to look for...i'm new to vintage audio. i'd like something vintage and good quality, but i need to keep it around 100 for both. so what's a good cheap receiver and some speakers i should look for?

i got a teac A-3440 and i need to find some speakers and amplification for it. I don't know anything about what to look for...i'm new to vintage audio. i'd like something vintage and good quality, but i need to keep it around 100 for both. so what's a good cheap receiver and some speakers i should look for?

Garden variety stereo amp or receiver and a pair of speakers. Why vintage? Do you think it won't sound right unless it's played through things from the same era?

Another option is to look for bargains on self-powered monitors...not gonna find anything with oomph though...

eBay...I see Tascam PA20mkII amps going for $50 or so sometimes and you may be able to find some decent two-way bookshelf speakers on the cheap...try www.bensbargains.net for deals on speakers, or check and see if www.partsexpress.com has any deals going on speakers.

thanks for the replies...
i just found a scott receiver and some klh speakers at goodwill for $10. seems to be all i need for now. what is the function of the rubber around the woofer cone. these are deterierated, but sound fine to me.

thanks for the replies...
i just found a scott receiver and some klh speakers at goodwill for $10. seems to be all i need for now. what is the function of the rubber around the woofer cone. these are deterierated, but sound fine to me.

They're the surrounds and should be replaced.

Check www.partsexpress.com. They probably have the surrounds. Measure the diameter of the cones. Parts Express has an 800 number and you could just tell somebody what you need and they can get the right part. You can usually just use contact cement but they migt have an adheive with an applicator just for the job and I'd recommend going that route. The surrounds play an EXTREMELY critical role in the response of the woofer.

Back