second hand drums in 400/600e range? Which model/brand? Any advice?

First of all i'm not a drummer, not really, i own a small place where i have all my musical gear and some friend of a friend left a whole drum set (mapex v series) here 5 years ago ...so basically i've been playing a bit of drums these past years, mainly goofing around, occasionally recording simple beats myself for my music, and learning how to place my mics..

The guy will finally get his drums back in september so i was thinking about buying one..since i'm not a proper drummer i'm not gonna spend too much on it, maybe 400-600euros second-hand...is there any specific model or brand that would be decent at this price?

For info i play kinda 60s/garage/psych/tweepop/lo-fi stuff...so i'd rather play on something a bit old school sounding...but frankly i can do fine with anything if needed.

Last edited:
Don't buy an ultra budget kit, because the tom clamps and other hardware may not work properly.
I had a Maxwin kit, and when you hit the toms, they would rotate.
When I got back into drumming, I bought a Tama Rockstar kit, which was solid and far better than the Maxwin.
A second hand mid-priced kit would be appropriate. Tama or Pearl woud not be a mistake.

Don't buy an ultra budget kit, because the tom clamps and other hardware may not work properly.
I had a Maxwin kit, and when you hit the toms, they would rotate.
When I got back into drumming, I bought a Tama Rockstar kit, which was solid and far better than the Maxwin.
A second hand mid-priced kit would be appropriate. Tama or Pearl woud not be a mistake.
Thanks! For info, what is usually the range of a brand new mid-priced drum kit (not second hand)?

Yamaha Stage Custom Birch is a great kit for the money. These kits are usually sold with a really good hardware pack which helps the value substantially. Chinese birch is not quite the same as European birch but the shells sound good and they're easy to tune. I think mine has the older style YESS mounts for the rack toms, which I really like. Rock solid hardware.

This kit is one of the least expensive options in the intermediate range.

Thanks! For info, what is usually the range of a brand new mid-priced drum kit (not second hand)?
From about £700 new would be mid-priced. You don't normally get cymbals included though.
Second hand, you are likely to get cymbals.
When I got my Tama Rockstar kit, I also asked for a cheap cymbals pack to get me going.
Then over the years I upgraded to Paiste 2002 cymbals.
Shop around, you might just get a good deal.

It's cool that you've been jamming on that Mapex V Series drum set for a while now, even if it's not your primary gig. Drumming is all about having fun and experimenting, so it's awesome that you've been recording beats for your music too! Since you mentioned a preference for an old-school sound, keep an eye out for vintage drums or those with a vintage vibe. They can give you that groovy 60s/garage/psych/tweepop/lo-fi flavor you're after. Remember, it's all about the vibes, man! Now, while I'm throwing some suggestions your way, have you ever considered incorporating a bodhran into your setup? It's an Irish frame drum with a unique sound that could add a touch of Celtic charm to your music.

Last edited:
Back