Second half of questions about reamping

twangbuck

Ok, so here goes my questions for the second half of the reamping scenario. Let's say it's time to actually do the reamping and that I plan on using a unit like the radial x-amp (with the active circuitry). I'm using a Zoom R8 as an interface to my pc (I'm running cubase LE). The Zoom has a pair of balanced TRS outs. One's labeled left, and one right. I plan on having my actual guitar amp and pedal(s) in a separate room, possibly down one flight of stairs, so I'll need a pretty long cable run.

I think in cubase I can assign the out for the guitar's dry signal track (recorded in mono) to one of the two TRS out jacks. If not, I could pan that track all the way to one of the two sides, and just use that corresponding out jack.
So question #1: Would either of those approaches work? Or should I really use both output jacks?

Next, from what I understand I'll need a TRS to XLR cable to go from the interface to the reamp box. Since I'm not sure how long a lead I'll need (I might move the amp around a lot to experiment), I'd like to get a very short TRS to XLR cable, say 3 feet, and then get a long mic cable to go from there to the reamp box.
Question #2 (potentially stupid question): I"m assuming that would work just as well as getting a long TRS to XLR cable. Is that correct?

(The above is assuming I'm only using one TRS out from the interface. If I need to use both, I understand I'll have to get a cable wtih dual male TRS's on one end and one XLR on the other. Please give me a heads up if I should use both.)

From there, I would go from the reamp box with an instrument cable (keeping it very short) into my pedal(s) and into my amp. Again, keeping the instrument cables as short as possible. After that, I'm simply micing up the amp, recording it, and being amazed by the results.

Can someone help me out with my (potentially stupid) questions above? Thanks so much!

As long as your outputs from the interface are balanced, the cable length to the reamp box is not really an issue. You just want to send a mono out. Create a second Output Bus in Cubase (mono). Set the output of the track to be reamped to this output bus. Use as short of cable out of the Radial to amp as possible.

:)

Cool. So only using one of the zoom's outs is ok, as long as the dry track is routed to a mono output bus, correct? Wasn't sure if that would be too weak a signal.

Yeah, you will have control of the output gain via the Cubase output bus, though I am not sure of the level your interface sends. This is also why the Radial Reamp box has a level control. I use the JCR Studio Reamper myself. It works quite well.

Back