SD cards for bootable purposes

SC7

Hi - brand new to this forum and although I have used many Zoom effects its the first time I have used the R8 and I am hoping I can get some really useful advice from the members of this forum. I have used Cakewalk software on my desktop PC since 1994 (not continuously) and that is my main DAW. However I purchased an R8 to give me more flexibility so I can record virtually anywhere.
My first (of probably many) questions is does the SD card that is inserted have to contain the boot files for the startup of the R8 or is the firmware held on the machine itself i.e. so I am free to use many SD cards without them all containing boot files?
Many thanks

If the R8 is anything like the R24, then you have nothing on the card except for the project data files. All the OS and effects files are in the unit. I bought over a dozen 16GB SD cards to use just like you would have used tape in the old days. Do the project, pull the card and slip it inside an envelope with the pertinent data on it. It only took one time of reformating a card with a project on it before I realized that SD cards are cheap enough that reusing isn't necessary.

If the R8 is anything like the R24, then you have nothing on the card except for the project data files. All the OS and effects files are in the unit. I bought over a dozen 16GB SD cards to use just like you would have used tape in the old days. Do the project, pull the card and slip it inside an envelope with the pertinent data on it. It only took one time of reformating a card with a project on it before I realized that SD cards are cheap enough that reusing isn't necessary.
Many thanks

Back