SD card issue with Tascam DP-24SD

Maddog57

I have had great luck with this unit until I tried to install a new SD card. Quick format didn't do anything. The unit didn't recognize it. Long format caused it to just keep formatting (over 24 hours). After some research, I picked up a new card that I thought would be more compatible. No luck. Still won't recognize the card. I put the factory included card back in and it won't recognize it either. Tried reformatting, still nothing. Any ideas?

What type of SD Card? That model specifically needs either a SD or SDHC format card.

You may need to Format it on your PC first to Fat 16/Fat 32 if it is not already (I would assume that the Tascam would be able to do this itself, as long as the card itself was SD/SDHC and not an unsupported SDXC/SDUC card, however that's not always the case).

Best of luck, please let us know if this helps.

I know this machine really well - by what he's describing I am going to guess that he might have a bad card reader. The clue here is that the card that came with the machine is not being recognized. That's not good. I'd try of reset from the preferences menu - and then contact Tascam if that doesn't do the trick.

It appears that the OP's original card is a MicroSD card in an adapter and somehow he has lost the actually memory card (I thought that was pretty hard to do). Anyway, he posted on the Tascam forum about the lost memory card, and now has the list of tested SD cards to work with.

I have a whole collection of Micro SD to SD adapters that gave up working. They ony work for a while.
Better to get regular SD cards.

I have learned that not everyone can or wants to do this with the DP-24/32(SD) recorders.... but from early 2015 when I bought my first one - I have never had to remove an SD card. Not once. I occasionally reformat the 32GB card that I first installed - and I have a number of brand new backups. But I simply keep a laptop near the DP with a USB cable permanently attached for file transferring. And, of course, I backup my data regularly as needed.

It's the way to go - if ya can. :thumbs up:

I'm the exact opposite, I use them like reels of tape. Envelopes have descriptions about contents, and there are a half dozen new cards in the bottom of the box. I haven't had a failure yet, either in my Zooms, or my video camera.

SD Cards.jpg

Pretty compact compared to the old days. This is from a local studio back in the 60s and 70s. Some local musicians saved them from being tossed when the build was demolished. Some have been digitized and were used for a local radio show in our public broadcast station.

Tape Library.jpg

It appears that the OP's original card is a MicroSD card in an adapter and somehow he has lost the actually memory card (I thought that was pretty hard to do). Anyway, he posted on the Tascam forum about the lost memory card, and now has the list of tested SD cards to work with.
Yep - I see that now over there. Well good. In the sense that he figured it out, will get squared away with a new card, and his recorder doesn't need to be repaired. Yay. 👏 👏

Back