SCORE! Ampex tape machine.. some questions

So what am I looking for on the heads to know if they are shot or not?

Nice picts. Here's some info on heads (applies to all formats):
http://www.analogrules.com/badheads.html
http://www.jrfmagnetics.com/headtrip.html
http://www.jrfmagnetics.com/tapeheadintro.html
http://www.jrfmagnetics.com/index.html?JRF_mainframe=/JRF_relapping.html

After reading the above, you'll soon know what to look for as far as heads.

Your machine would definitely benefit from an overall servicing, including having the rubber pinch roller re-rubbered. There are flat spots on the heads but it's tough to judge to what degree. I think they're still useable and can be relapped.

There is a fair amount of dirt / oxide on the heads. Clean them prior to checking their condition with any degree of accuracy. In fact, clean the entire tape path too (guides, lifters etc).

battleminnow,

whatever happened with this deck? I'm in the middle of getting one of these restored at the moment. Did you ever get yours up and running? Or is it on the back burner?

Peck,

That's an old thread...hopefully he checks back but...

I'm in the midst of a back-burner refurb of a 440B-8 tho'...

I know. I've been keeping an eye on that thread. I'll be happy to hear when you have that fully operational. You are dedicated to restoring your machines. It's very impressive.

I was looking at some old thread of yours on... well, I can't remember the deck now... but it was like an 8 month thread that may still be going. Oh, yeah, it was your Tascam 42 I think (I was searching for 42 info). You're relentless when you set your eyes on a goal! very cool.

I just bought that 42 from Rolf at Vintage Texas. What a nice guy. I really like him, and I appreciate Daniel referring me to him. It should be coming soon, so I'm really excited. This will be my first 2 track deck, that actually works (the others are the 2 beat up 440s). I was mixing to a tascam cd burner before...

Hey, I'm assuming you get TapeOp. Do you like Sufjan Stevens stuff? Did you read the article on him? It was really cool. Because he did all of his recording very minimally and it all turned out sounding great... don't know if you've heard his stuff. But damn, it was very inspiring to keep working hard at recording.

I really gained a whole new level of respect for him after that article. Seems like a down to earth guy. That was kind of off on a tangent, but I really liked the interview.

oh and I'll let you know what I find out on my 440 project. It's in the shop right now. Talk to you soon.

You are dedicated to restoring your machines. It's very impressive.

Its an illness and I'm striving for remission...:o

I'm assuming you get TapeOp

I don't get any periodicals...too busy and I've never heard of Sufjan Stevens, but that does make me curious...I've been listening to a lot of Jack Johnson and Jason Mraz lately. Its clean and rich...many folks here are into that idea and some really great stuff comes out of that, even from mediums you wouldn't guess. A Reel Person has done some really great sounding stuff and you would never know it was a cassette-based multitracker.

your Tascam 42

Never had a 42. You probably saw mastercontrolme's 42...nicest looking 42 I've ever seen.

Might be thinking of my 48...some other ongoing project threads:

Later that same decade...:rolleyes:

And then there's the 440-8.

Anyway, do keep us up on your 440 project.

Feel free to tag on to my 440 thread, or use this one, or start your own. I wouldn't mind my 440 thread being a central 440 point on the forum tho' so feel free.

Ok, yeah... it was the 58 thread that I was thinking of. Relentless man!

But if you're a recording musician, and you like recording on tape... I would definitely go to the tape op website... tapeop.com? i imagine, and get a subscription. It's free. So you can't really beat that. It really is the greatest magazine around for analog enthusiasts.

Are you recording for fun, or are you planning on putting something out? I see that you have a love for purchasing and repairing gear like a lot of guys on here... although it seems like you take it to another level. :) in a good way.

But yeah, I'll probably just tack onto your 440-8 thread when I get some news on my 440-2. I took it to this local repair guy because I just don't have the time to figure it all out. I hope to eventually have the time to do the repairs myself.

That m-520 board looks pretty awesome too. I enjoy all your threads too. Very interesting and informative. talk to you later

Back