Scheduling Gigs Relentlessly

azraelswings

The other I was doing a little reading, wound up on allmusic reading the bio on Ani Defranco. It mentions that she played 200 gigs annually. Mentally doing the math, I found that to be just shy of 4 gigs weekly. Besides the exhaustion prompted by this heavy a schedule, the sheer logistics of it boggle my mind.

How does one even find enough places outside of their local area to play this many places? I'd think that scheduling the gigs would be a full time job during the period of the year in which one wasn't playing. I'm sure this must include small gigs and maybe even open mics, but still...

If one were prepared to take this approach, which I must admit I'm not, how would one even begin?

If one were prepared to take this approach, which I must admit I'm not, how would one even begin?

Ive been doing about 200 gigs a year for 20+ years. Mine are a bit different, a combiniation of symphony, opera, ballet, broadway, pop shows, parties etc. Nonetheless:

The numbers come from tours, extended runs and steady gigs for most people. Someone in her line of performing may have a steady Monday gig. Thats 50 gigs a year right there. Tour gigs are often 1 a day, so being on the road 30 days= 30 gigs. If I do a broadway touring show, I will have 18 gigs in 15 days. Those 18 are basically 1 gig contractually, and the tour is as well.

So, its not 200 individual gigs usually. For me, I have insane months then months I barely work. Weekends often have 2 gigs on a Saturday and 2 on a Sunday. Contractually, I would guess I have 60 unique gigs a year. Some are 1 nite and some 10.

I'm actually on tour with my band right now (4am in a Wal-mart parking lot) and it's definitely not impossible to play that many unique shows. There are THOUSANDS of places to play all over the country. Booking is definitely not the easiest thing in the world (especially when you're in an unknown band, such as mine) but I can't imagine how it was done before the internet was introduced. We do most of the work ourselves, finding the venues online and the rest is left to a booking agent we work with. Yes, it is alot of work, but entirely worth it and definitely possible.

as far as bigger acts go, they rely entirely on booking agencies. So, that's absolutely no work for them.

I'm actually on tour with my band right now (4am in a Wal-mart parking lot) and it's definitely not impossible to play that many unique shows. There are THOUSANDS of places to play all over the country. Booking is definitely not the easiest thing in the world (especially when you're in an unknown band, such as mine) but I can't imagine how it was done before the internet was introduced. We do most of the work ourselves, finding the venues online and the rest is left to a booking agent we work with. Yes, it is alot of work, but entirely worth it and definitely possible.

as far as bigger acts go, they rely entirely on booking agencies. So, that's absolutely no work for them.

Yep - bare in mind that Ani DeFranco (sp?) is a popular artist, and has some money. She can afford to hire people who's job it is to get gigs, and to get her to and from them. She doesn't (most likely) have to do it all herself. Her name and an agency do the work for her.

If you are an unknown group, it will be exponentially more difficult, if not impossible. I can't say for sure, since I don't gig much at all, and I do know of local groups that aren't known much at all finding places to play in plenty of different cities, where upon they "go on a tour", but those I think often end up being nowhere near close to 200 shows in a year.

oh it's possible, you just have to not be picky about where you play. there are ALWAYS art shows, parties, coffee shops and places like that. if you are real picky and want to make sure you are always playing to the right people and with the right bands at the right places then no, it is not going to happen. however for someone like ani defranco it's going to be easier because clubs are going to come to HER, not the other way around.

Ive been doing about 200 gigs a year for 20+ years. Mine are a bit different, a combiniation of symphony, opera, ballet, broadway, pop shows, parties etc. Nonetheless:

The numbers come from tours, extended runs and steady gigs for most people. Someone in her line of performing may have a steady Monday gig. Thats 50 gigs a year right there. Tour gigs are often 1 a day, so being on the road 30 days= 30 gigs. If I do a broadway touring show, I will have 18 gigs in 15 days. Those 18 are basically 1 gig contractually, and the tour is as well.

So, its not 200 individual gigs usually. For me, I have insane months then months I barely work. Weekends often have 2 gigs on a Saturday and 2 on a Sunday. Contractually, I would guess I have 60 unique gigs a year. Some are 1 nite and some 10.

Precisely what boggles my mind. The periods of constant touring/performing and periods of rest, that I can wrap my head around. Correct me if wrong, but those 200 performances don't require your doing 200 gigs worth of individual leg work, in terms of scheduling, etc.

So, you find the venues and the booking agent does the rest? How much does an agent take? How much does an unknown act make "on the road" per gig? I don't ask out of Candy Land dreams of doing coke off hookers' bosoms, I'm just curious about the financial practicalities.

Yep - bare in mind that Ani DeFranco (sp?) is a popular artist, and has some money. She can afford to hire people who's job it is to get gigs, and to get her to and from them. She doesn't (most likely) have to do it all herself. Her name and an agency do the work for her.

While that may be true of the present, my understanding is that she's been touring constantly since beginning her career. I'm not a fan of hers, so I'm not particularly knowledgeable about it. In fact I'm rather sure I've never heard any of her music. Anecdotally, I've been told that she's played gigs at colleges for as few as 15 people. There are plenty of artists that built substantial followings from relentless early touring. Once a booking agent is involved and name recognition is on their side, all the artist needs to do is show up and play. I'm just curious how they made it happen early on, to get that name recognition.

oh it's possible, you just have to not be picky about where you play. there are ALWAYS art shows, parties, coffee shops and places like that. if you are real picky and want to make sure you are always playing to the right people and with the right bands at the right places then no, it is not going to happen. however for someone like ani defranco it's going to be easier because clubs are going to come to HER, not the other way around.

Word.

Precisely what boggles my mind. The periods of constant touring/performing and periods of rest, that I can wrap my head around. Correct me if wrong, but those 200 performances don't require your doing 200 gigs worth of individual leg work, in terms of scheduling, etc.

Again, my situation is a bit different. To contract a gig for me takes about 20 seconds. People call and say "Dave, are you free on the 17th? Theres a show at the Palace Theater". I personally do very little leg work. Nor does Ani DiFranco.

People dont start out with 200 gigs a year, they build to it. You gotta get one. Then 2. Then 5 etc. Somewhere along the line will come repeats, and those are easy to deal with.

Even if she's always been doing it, as someone said, she may just not have been picky about where she played. Most towns have a local paper that will advertise places you can play - you just have to make a shitload of phone calls :)

Again, my situation is a bit different. To contract a gig for me takes about 20 seconds. People call and say "Dave, are you free on the 17th? Theres a show at the Palace Theater". I personally do very little leg work. Nor does Ani DiFranco.

People dont start out with 200 gigs a year, they build to it. You gotta get one. Then 2. Then 5 etc. Somewhere along the line will come repeats, and those are easy to deal with.
There ya' go. I play probably a little over 250 gigs a year and it's the same thing ... people call me.
As for being picky about where you play ....... I'm just picky about getting paid. If I get paid, it's a good gig.
And if it's a nothing gig then I just use it as 3 or 4 hours of concentrated practice.

Back