Scary-oke cover

Rokket

Trailing Behind Again
I am just trying to gauge where I am at. I only started working on my voice a few months ago, when arthritis took my hands away from me.

You don't have to be kind. The kindest thing anyone previously said about my singing was that I sounded like two cats fighting. I think I may have improved, but the only feedback I've gotten lately has been family. They won't tell the truth. You will.

Thanks for listening!

View attachment Fantasy.mp3

My opinion is that your rhytm is good, I'm not a professional about this kind of stuff but I can see the potential but it seems like you're running out of breath on some parts so your voice changes, happens to me a lot haha.. and somehow I think that you should lower your voice a little bit if you can, it seems like it's too high for this song, but that's my opinion.. hope it helps :D

One of the things that I discovered when I started singing 10 years ago was that I sing in that register. I was getting a lot of grief for it. Some of them were asking me to sing "normal". I was hurt by the comments until I realized that what you hear IS normal for me. I do have a few country songs I tried to sing, and the results were less than spectacular because my voice just isn't meant for that style of music. It's the same thing with your voice. You have to not only find a comfortable range to sing in, but you have to find a genre that fits it.

Well, if you've been singing for 10 years already, I guess then you're right.. It's true that your voice wouldn't fit in every genre.. I agree, because I can see that some songs I just can't sing comfortably, they just don't sound as good as other..

But back to you, if that's the case what you said about your singing, maybe you should try to sing some of ac/dc-s songs, it seems like your voice would fit in that genre..

It's funny you said that. I actually posted an AC/DC inspired song on here years ago and that's when all the comments about two cats fighting started.

There are songs that I do well at. Believe it or not, I can sing "After All These Years" by Journey. I can do Firehouse, Reo Speedwagon, Survivor. This Aldo Nova song was just a test, really. I am pretty sure I can improve it, but I won't bother. Once I record it, I am pretty much done with it.

It's funny you said that. I actually posted an AC/DC inspired song on here years ago and that's when all the comments about two cats fighting started.

There are songs that I do well at. Believe it or not, I can sing "After All These Years" by Journey. I can do Firehouse, Reo Speedwagon, Survivor. This Aldo Nova song was just a test, really. I am pretty sure I can improve it, but I won't bother. Once I record it, I am pretty much done with it.

If someone told you that you sound like 2 cats fighting I'm pretty sure he's just a hater haha.. Haters can find you no matter how good you are haha, even the most successful people have them.

I'll post another song I did a little later on. Right now I am maxing out my laptop's memory doing a 3D art render. When I get that done I'll post another song I did, different genre, so you can see what I mean about singing in a genre your voice is comfortable with. GREAT singers can sing anything, but even the best have their limits.

I'm no George Strait, that much is certain. I do like his music, but I'm a firm believer that only he can do his songs justice. He's one who chooses his songs very carefully. Most of them are written for him. He won't do a song that's out of his range, nor will he do one he can't emotionally invest in. Those are a few things to think about as we chug along.

there's nothing wrong with your voice .. in fantasy its mostly great,fits this style of music 100% .. its got character,nice phrasing .. mostly (nothing an overdub or 2 wouldn't cure,and those are phrasing issues not pitch) .. however the mix is terrible ! throw those shit plugs away and start again

in love without end the eq and verb are killers (couple of pitches,again overdubs) again throw the shit plugs away and let the track breathe

edit:- just listened to He Stopped Loving Her Today ... thats waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to low for you ... raise the backing by at least a 5th imo ;)

Thanks for the appraisal. Unfortunately I can't do much about the mixes because they are karaoke tracks. I tried to clean them up and it only got worse. I did overdo the lower freqs on Fantasy, though.

He stopped loving her was for my mother. I am not a huge fan of George Jones. Don't get me wrong, he was a legend, just not my personal favorite. The first couple takes of that song were done under the influence of copious amounts of alcohol, and I accidentally sent her one of those. Her response was less than flattering. This track was a fast redo so I could get it back to her. She was much happier, but I want to retrack it again when I can.

On the subject of the key of that song, I think I could probably just bring my vocals down in timbre instead, maybe?

there's nothing wrong with your voice .. in fantasy its mostly great,fits this style of music 100% .. its got character,nice phrasing .. mostly (nothing an overdub or 2 wouldn't cure,and those are phrasing issues not pitch) .. however the mix is terrible ! throw those shit plugs away and start again

in love without end the eq and verb are killers (couple of pitches,again overdubs) again throw the shit plugs away and let the track breathe

edit:- just listened to He Stopped Loving Her Today ... thats waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to low for you ... raise the backing by at least a 5th imo ;)

I have been listening to these tracks too much to be impartial anymore. If you could point out the spots where the phrasing is less than stellar I could probably go back and fix them...

On the subject of the key of that song, I think I could probably just bring my vocals down in timbre instead, maybe?

nope ;) ...

I have been listening to these tracks too much to be impartial anymore. If you could point out the spots where the phrasing is less than stellar I could probably go back and fix them...

busy right now (listening) ill try and get back to these later :)

I wasn't going to post this one because it's embarrassing as hell. It was one of the first things I tried to record and I had no idea what I was doing. The guitars are all DI'd, there is a drum machine instead of real drums, and the vocal....:eek:

Please don't offer mix advice because I can't do anything about any longer. The files are long gone. This song is circa 2004, so...

If you can stomach it, listen to the whole track. I like the ending.

View attachment Spank Me.mp3

Back