SAVE ME! 48khz sounds like a chipmunk when burned to a cd?

DAS19

Ok so I intern at a studio and ive worked my way up to being allowed to engineer lower profile sessions. So for todays session I accidently set up for 48khz PT session instead of what we usually use 44.1khz. Now, my boss has always told me never to record in 48khz because it will sound fast like a chipmunk song. I did not think once I was in 48khz it would be that hard to convert to 44.1khz but apparently when I export the region as 44.1khz and burn it to a cd it still sounds fast. Now in order to get a cd to the client I had to stay after late and rebounce every song into a 2trk cd recorder, this obviously worked for the two track bounce down but now I want every track as 44.1khz.

What do I do? What would you do?

The way my boss has dealt with this issue in the past was to play back in real time the tracks and transfer them all to our tape machine and then back into pro tools. This will take quite a lot of work. I will need to use serveral reels considering its 70 min of music.

Suggestions pleaseee!!! SAVE ME!

Last edited:
Reactions: XLR
I think it has to do with the fact that my clock was set to 44.1 and the session was at 48khz. Now I have to play it back exactly the same or else the speed changes.

The way my boss has dealt with this issue in the past was to play back in real time the tracks and transfer them all to our tape machine and then back into pro tools.
That sounds like a good idea. And tell the client that, at no extra cost to them, you did an analog tape transfer for added sound quality. They'll love you forever.:):D

You should be able to sample-rate convert to 44.1.

I normally record in 24/96 and Sequoia automatically converts to 16/44.1 when it burns the CD.

If it's a PT session, surely PT can convert to 44.1 without adding all the distortion of an analogue transfer!

Back