Satisfying a craving

Phrasemaker

I'm sure I'm not the only user of this forum who has bought a number of instruments over the years whilst somehow avoiding one particular instrument which in actuality is what I should have gone for for a few guitars earlier. I've had a hankering for one of these for over thirty years and yes they are depending upon opinion, over priced which is why I probably convinced myself it would be no better than a lot of guitars costing a lot less. Yes there are better finished guitars costing way less, there are also all the reviews I've read over the years which vary greatly. And when I finally get the point where I can work my socks off to own a brand new one, I have to consider if I want a Richlite, fingerboard on an instrument costing this much. I've researched it and came to the conclusion I'd have to play one and make up my own mind. I did and within five minutes decided the guitar amounted to more than just materials put together, I was honestly trying to convince myself not to buy one. The sustain is unlike any other guitar I own, regardless of pickup swaps and so on. It's also quite pretty to look at.

LPCustom1.jpg

I've always wanted one too, the main problem is always money, I love the 3 pickup 'black beauty' custom LP with the gold hardware, it looks amazing and has the extra pickup for even more tone options,

if you've wanted this one for so long, why not! go for it! they have a good re-sale value as well because people buy into the brand thing.

Always wanted one, too, but a lot of it had to do with the ebony fretboard. I haven't tried the new stuff.

I just got a 2014 Les Paul Custom Black Beauty. That white one is actually better looking. But I can't afford another one....ever....
Congrats on a very nice guitar I know you'll love it.

I'm not having any issues with weight with mine. It's heavier than my Strat/Kramer but doesn't tire me out playing standing up it for a few hours.

I'm not having any issues with weight with mine. It's heavier than my Strat/Kramer but doesn't tire me out playing standing up it for a few hours.

The fretboard is a non issue I don't even think about when playing. It's super hard and reminds me of a maple board somewhat but the neck is completely different from a Strat. I played one for a couple of years every time I went to the music store and it felt as comfortable as my old 70's model.

Thank you all very much for the replies, jeap, yes it's a fairly heavy guitar but does not seem to be over the top. I've played it for a good few hours standing and not found it an issue. To be fair I have a six string bass which is ridiculously heavy which has probably got me used to playing a heavy instrument. Having lived with the guitar for a week I am happy to have it, the sound is superb, as is the sustain and set up. I'm still a little nervous having it out of the case, but that's just because I've wanted one for a long time and the money wasn't easy to come by, hence I appreciate owning it. The fret board seems absolutely fine and doesn't stand out in any negative way compared with the other material options on other guitars I own. I have really only found things to like thus far so I'll post any negatives I find once the honeymoon period is over. On the plus side hammer on's and pull offs, opening a note using only vibrato are all very easy to do without having the amp saturated to the point of madness and have them sound as good as the picked notes.

Once again, thank you

Regards

Tim

Nice timing and was it last year's model? as I don't see the ugly 120 years insignia on the 12th fret. Did you hear they're putting the price up 30% (all gibsons, actually the LP supreme was $1500 and next years it'll be $2500, I hear they're going to eliminate the cheap models and the LPM will be the cheapest at $1000 and they are all going to have a brass zero fret in 2015. I'd get a Heritage though if I really wanted an LP, apart from milling out the body, theyre just about 100% hand built, and made in gibson's old factory in Kalamazoo. They route out a bunch of cavities inside the body to reduce the weight these days don't they?

Back