Sanitarium (Sam on vocals)

CrankyOne

Hey all. Me and sam did a cover of Metallica's "Welcome Home (sanitarium)". Sam did the vocals, I did the rest. Tell us what you think.

(I'm sorry the mp3 is 128 kbps. Maybe we'll have a better version some day...)

NOW THIS PISSES ME OFF!!!
Why do you guys have to post this stuff while I am at work and I cant listen to it??!!!!
Now I am gonna be looking forward to this all day.

Hey youse guys oughta do a cover of "Mother"...you know, that song by Danzig, that would kill!!!

Let It Rock
Mike

as good as your other cover, but not as close a copy as the MOP one. Really nice drum sounds. I'd sure like to see you get away from these covers, and more into your own stuff. I am sure this is an incredible learning experience for you, but I think some original stuff would be more interesting to listen to...or at least for me. This sure kicks booty though. Good vocals Sam. I liked the clean, phased gtr sound at the beginning also. yeah..the drum programming/sound wins the award...

Damn.......

Dude(Sam)...... :D Your vocs are soo kickin butt!!!! The clarity is totally refreshing. ....it's YOU!!! BIG-ASS thumbs up.

Dude(Cranky) :D ....... Again, Blistering tightness. You are such a great guitar player for this type of music. Its all about being able to "nail" staccato playing..... and just based on your ability to do that...........you should have a deal. The tone is just a touch thin and processed in spots..... but im comparing it to the original massive guitar production, and that isnt totally fair. The piano is a nice touch:)

One major bitch!!! ....as much as i (a dial-up dude) appreciates the small file size, When cool shit like this comes up, I like to burn it and listen during my endless LA comuting..... a better quality mp3 is always appreciated.
....So, a big file is ok... I'll suffer:)

g with a BIG crunchy 5

mixmkr said:
as good as your other cover, but not as close a copy as the MOP one. Really nice drum sounds. I'd sure like to see you get away from these covers, and more into your own stuff. I am sure this is an incredible learning experience for you, but I think some original stuff would be more interesting to listen to...or at least for me. This sure kicks booty though. Good vocals Sam. I liked the clean, phased gtr sound at the beginning also. yeah..the drum programming/sound wins the award...

:D I usually do covers when I can't think of anything original... Well, I DO have one original song on the works. I just need to add something to it. It doesn't feel complete. Not by a long shot. The structure is there... but I need to spice it up.

But thanks for the ears man. I didn't mean to do a close copy this time. That's why the 2nd verse is like it is :D

-EDIT

Oh yeah.. Guernica... If Sam gets his computer fixed, maybe you'll get the better quality mp3 :D And thanks for your comments too...

I like those drums a lot.....nice and full......Sams vocals are getting soooo much stronger; almost every song he does shows growth.......good guitar sound........this is very cool.....I'm not hip to the original so I can,t compare but man, this sounds good......
......ooooh, cool middle section....now it rocks out again.......NICE!!!!

hey dudes, thanks for the comments about my end..

bottom line, once again the music is better than the vocals.. BUT, at least I know it! :)

Cranky is a great home wrecker! Next one will hopefully be a Black Sabbath cover, or an original.. I just got my computer going again so I'll send Cranky a VBR version..

thanks again for letting me in Crankij!

GOOD FUCKING JOB

GOOD JOB, I THINK SOME OF THE DRUMS WERE A LITTLE FUNKY SOUNDING(SNARE). REALLY GOOD GUITAR PLAYING, GOOD VOCALS. I HAVE A REQUEST, COVER ...HARVESTER OF SORROW. THE BIT WITH THE PIANO WAS COOL...WASN'T EXPECTING THAT. I THINK THE VOX ARE MAYBE A BIT TOO UPFRONT, OR MAYBE JUST TOO DRY. VERY GOOD JOB. I NEED TO RECORD SOME NEW STUFF...I AM GOING THROUGH POSTING WITHDRAWAL. GOOD FUCKING JOB!!!!!

Nice job guys. Sounds great!! I don't know what the original sounds like because I don't listen to Metal much anymore, but from my old days ;) I can tell this sounds great:D

Very nice

Excellent!Damn sam your vocals are killer!

The way your vocals are turning out now are what people were always talking about when they asked you to bring them up front a little more.:D

This rocks dudes!

Be careful Cranky, that's 2 Metallica covers in a row, and Lars is a pretty sue-happy guy ;)

Re-made by two guys who fucking know their Metallica!

Chorus at 1:55= vocals jump about 2-3 db's too high IMO...they seem to jump slightly outside the dynamic of the song, even know though it's the chorus. The sound of the vocals is terrific though, nice and wide too.

Oh nice second verse!

Rippin!

You guys made me start listening to Metallica covers again! I thought I'd never hear good ones. Like I got to the point where I've heard just far too many of them. But this recording and the one you guys did of MOP breate new life into it.

Sweet job!

JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!!!!!!!

cool changes ya'll did!!! The second verse was a really nice change!! different melody, piano......damn!!!! i did not expect that, i was singing along, it got to second and ya'll threw me for a loop!!!:D very creative, guy's!! ahhhhhhhhhh the end too!!
damnit!!:mad: cut that shit out!!:D ;) RAAAAAAAaaAA AA GE!!
i like the vox work there sam!! NICE CHANGE UP'S! damn cranky, you just SHRED!!!! NUFF SAID!

thank's guy's!!

peace

Rick

Attachments

• skull.gif
    skull.gif
    16.9 KB · Views: 58
I rarely listen to stuff here since one song takes me about 45 minutes to get, but since I know this one so well, I took a jab...
First thing that bugs the life out of me is that people get on here (and elsewhere) and say "I'm not familiar with the original" Then that makes me think, "damn, I'm old" since that album is what really broke open the doors for all heavy music that followed. I completely wore out 2 Master of Puppets tapes, lost a 3rd one, bought the CD at that point, lost it, bought it again, and since then someone has stolen it. The only album I ever bought 4 times. It almost seems shameful to me that people arent familiar with it.

Anyway, I used to tear this shit up out live, it was very much in my blood. Really good recording, but there is something about the main verse rhythm that bugs me bad... right after the verse rythm starts at the very very beginning, I picked it off immediatly. I am very much a stickler about covers, especially when I know them as well as I do this album. When you drop to the 5th fret on the 6th string, there is a slide from the 5th fret to the 3rd and another slide back up, and it is an integral part of the sound and feel of the rythm. It just doesnt flow right to me without it.
Its been 20 minutes and I am just now getting to the chorus. Sooooo slow, drives me nuts.
Good job, though, nice recording. Whats your signal chains?

Ha, totally love the 2nd verse, killer... too fucking cool that you changed it up that way...
another hour and I can hear the rest. :)
You have those solos pretty damn close... I used to love playing those solos, Kirk was at his best then...

This just reminds me that I definitely like old Metallica, but not the new stuff.

Love the piano. Great choice to put that in.

well... tubedude... I was ripe for the listening when this came out; problem was? no older bros/sisters to steal records from :D and I was sadly a breakdancer :o and also caught up in all that crappy 80's pop :( plus, I think heavy music scared me at age 13... only began listening to Metal-likka w/the black album... (by then, early-mid 20's) My younger bro (age 31) was heavily in to them early on, as was the other bro (age 26).

Sam... what can I say.. you kicked ass... love how your voice get's doubled around 3mins...

crankij, cool music... drums sound cool... betcha the average joe on the street would think "real drums"... guitars thick... very tight... damn... the kick sounds beautifull.... love those rhythms.

I've heard rumors that Lars is a sh*tty drummer... and that they had to replace most of his stuff with triggered samples... but if this is shitty, I say "bring on the shit" :)

Back