Sanford & Son 70's sounds

jdavidb

What are all the organs/keys/synths used in the TV Theme to Sanford & Son?

I mainly want to know the name of the one that sounds like a bubbling harpischord with echoes/arpeggios trailing it. I think there was a similar instrument/effect in Bonnie Raitt, Love Sneakin' Up On You, for a later example.

Last edited:
I think there is guitar with wah, B3, and the Clavinet. Chromatic harmonica and lead guitar on the melody. I think there is hand percussion and kit drums. Maybe some wurlitzer or rhodes electric piano? Either way a really busy syncopation with the wah clavi should provide the effect you're looking for.

thanks. The B3 sounds that I know are smooth sounding, and I hear smooth in the song. Rhodes or Wurlitzer... those two I don't know. Are they the more harsh organs?

jdavidb said:
thanks. The B3 sounds that I know are smooth sounding, and I hear smooth in the song. Rhodes or Wurlitzer... those two I don't know. Are they the more harsh organs?

I wouldn't say the B3 in that song is smooth.... it's pretty dirty. Rhodes and Wurlis are electric pianos that bark at high volume but are generally round and mellow sounding with lots of overtones.

Back