Samicide lets theron come along for the ride

theron

A few weeks ago, I asked Sam if he'd like to collab. He agreed and sent me a tune of his that hadn't any lyrics or vocals. I wrote some lyrics, tried to create a melody and sung along to his composition. The result is this
http://www.nowhereradio.com/theron/singles

The song is called "a sunshine storm". Any feedback you care to give would be appreciated. If it sucks, it's my fault. If it rocks, it's Sams fault.

In case you care, Samicide is a solid dude. No ego or attitude and fun to work with. He has high standards and talent to match.

Thanks for your time,

Theron.

OK. I only have one comment right now. The vocals were mixed so low that i could barely hear them. This strained my attention so much I couldn't really concentrate or get into the flow of the song. I, for one, wish you'd bring the voice up to normal levels. I have a feeling others will say the same thing. I'd like to hear a remix for this reason alone and I'll wait and see what you guys decide to do.

I kinda agree with crawdad. I'd like to hear the vocals up some. From what I hear it sounds like you captured the proper mood for one of Sam's songs. I always like his stuff and your vocals sound remarkably similar in style to the way he writes. I'll listen again tomorrow to see if the vox is up.

Man, this is like "Breathe in the Air". Half of the song sounds a lot like Floyd, except for the vocals. They're not bad, and I agree I'd like to hear them louder. At least in some parts. The kick drum is powerful and nice, but the snare could use some reverb, at least in the mellow sections. I think the weak thing about drums now is, that the hi-hats sound like they're a bit too quiet. I mean, a bit. At least when the heavy stuff kicks in, the hi-hat's could have been open hihats instead of closed ones, you know. And louder hihats. But don't listen to me, I'm horribly nitpicky about drums, and I ain't even a drummer. I might have completely wrong thoughts about drums anyway.

The song flows just fine, and I really like the dreamy sections and the weird slide sounding stuff there. The song is great, but the mixing lacks something. I'm not sure if it's the drums, or the vocal volume, or something else. The important thing is, that Sam made a great tune, and you sang great vocals. Now you've just got to dig the greatness up from it.

a couple quick notes

hey guys,

This music (except for the solos and vocals) was recorded about 2 years ago on a 4 track minidisc. :eek: before I had monitors or Pods or Sansamps, good drums,compressors etc..

The drums are just preset drum beats from an Alesis SR-16.. The rhythm guitar was a BOSS GT-2.. I have a bunch of tunes that I never added vocals or solos to and I thought therons voice would work well on this.. I added the solos yesterday.. No keyboards.. I cant do anything about the rhythms because I have long since destroyed the 4 track.. The only things that can be changed are solos and vocals..

theron is one of the coolest people I have had contact with through this bbs.. I enjoyed this, and it was nice to not hear my vocals on a song I'm involoved with..

He mixed the vocals and I mixed the solos.. I think the vocals should come up also..

sam

pit worthy!!!!!!

dare i say that this is my new favorite? HELL YEAH!

this is one of those songs where you are all lumped up in front of the stage groovin , then BAM!!!!!!! there is a seething circle of flailing arms and tattooed mayhem!!! ( oh, the good old days)

i love the heavy groove to this song. it's already been said, so i won't say the vocals need to come up( well , i guess i just did)

great collab. seems like it was fun.

peace

rick

Cool tune...B.Sab imop gets the most out of his epuip,i guess even in the early days...interestingly exotic melody for the vox too,...dare I suggest auto-tune?I know I could use it...cuz I stink!
I agree with cranky on the 'Floyd' ref

New Mix is up

Crawdad
Lt Bob
Crankyone
Badgas

Thanks for helping point out the weakness of my mix. I took your comments to action and boosted the vocals. During the hard section, I left them down some cause that is what I had envisioned.

Does the new mix help the song?

Thanks for your time and attention.

Theron.

fenderlikingood,
Thanks for the feedback. Glad you get into the song. Sam's stuff is really fun to write to.

So...what kinda guitar do you play?:D

King Elvis,
All we did was this.
Sam sent me an mp3 of a song he'd mixed (just the instruments, no lyrics, no vox, and no lead git). I put the mp3 file in my multi track ( I use Vegas Pro) and recorded my parts along side Sams music. I mixed the vox in to fit the original mp3 I recieved from Sam and then rendered all of those tracks to mp3 and sent it back to Sam (via email). He cut his solo git over that mix(after helping me with my parts:) ) and sent me the complete mp3 so I could upload it.

I'm not saying this a good way but, that is how we did it. This is my first collab and this method was easy to use.

W.I.S.C. Thanks for the listen. So you're saying that you need Auto Tune cause you stink and you're saying that I need Auto Tune cause I stink?:confused::):D. Yeah, I know my singin' has issues.

mixmkr. B-...... Hey Ma!!! I passed, I passed!!!!:D
Thanks alot for listening.

Theron.

that's much better. Your voice fits well in the verses. The other stuff seems kinda(slightly in places) out of tune to me, for some reason..and even the verses seem on the edge. I'd see no harm in using an Autotune as suggested earlier [I believe]. I still think that your voice could come up even more...even in the harder parts...why not..eh?

I think it took a lot of creativity to come up with a melody to Sam's plumber music. A- for that effort, but still hovering around a B for the music/vocal mix.

oh..sammy...you crazy nut!:D Theron...you're just as much a nut to colab with him too!!;)

Great work you two. Colabs are exciting.

Sounded very good all around.

Sum of two very different parts, cool!!

GT

mixmkr. Thanks double for the second listen.
Sam was never totally at ease with my vox either and I couldn't seem to "hit dead center". Glad the mix is sounding better. I'd hoped to bring a bigger bomb to the collab table but I was pleased with the mood and sound of the end result and I still seem to be breathing so, it could have been worse:D

G.T.

Thanks for checking it out! Did you REALLY like it?:):D or are ya just being kind:)
Hope to hear from you soon

Theron.

"plumber music"......mixmkr might have coined a new genre of music!!LOL. I can play one hell of a Monkey Wrench if anyone wants to start a "plumber band":D

When I used to have a bad day in music, I'd always say 'I shoulda been a plumber!" I'd probably be able to retire soon had I done just that.

Anyway, the new mix is much better with the voice up. I actually got to lay back and get the gist of the track and all. Sam cooked up some wild stuff--that guitar solo is absolutely like bungee jumping! The other threads already discussed your vocal "issues" but I have an idea to continue the collab.

If somebody here has a computer DAW and Auto tune, you could send them the track and your voice as separate MP3's or CD, whatever. Let him do a bit of pitch correction and send it back to you for final remix. I'd do it myself but I don't have Auto Tune.

Anyway, it might be a fun project.

And thanks for doing the remix!

yeah...but how's the butt crack?? that's an important feature, ya know

We'll worry about the stage presence later;)

Crawdad.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUdge cikles! I swear I'd give something big and important up in exchange for the ability to sing. Not to whine but, the fact that I can't is a hard pill for me to swallow. I will not be remedied by Auto Tune. I will get better, continue to suck or I will stop trying to sing.

Wow, that came across as defiantly decided.;) I guess cause that is where I'm at.
Thanks alot for taking extra time to listen again. It is appreciated much.

Theron:mad::o:)

Back