Same guitar, different model #'s, different weights

spantini

COO of me, inc.
Looking at the Gretsch Electromatic Jet II Bass over on Sweetwater's site. Unlike other sites, they're listing the same guitar (basically) with 4 different model numbers to choose from and some have different weights listed. What's that all about?

It's only 3-4 ounces difference, and assuming identical hardware on all models, that pretty much leaves the wood. No big deal, right.. Right.

I guess I'm more curious as to why they'd even get down to the nitty-gritty over a few ounces, unless it's just a cute little sales tactic.

g2220.jpg

Last edited:
I think it's great... while I wouldn't know the difference between 7lbs 6oz or 7lbs 10oz, the more info the better and while this case is just a 4oz difference many times there are 1lb or more differences in some models... some people are picky about weight being specific some people would want the higher weight and some people would want the lightest weight, they (Sweetwater) list it on all guitars, they aren't going to leave off the weight just because the other guitars are within 4oz, it's info is across the board.

On line buying has always been difficult. Much better to pick up an instrument and feel it, see if you vibe with it.

In the last 20 years or so weight has become a huge issue in the guitar buying community.

In the 70s a heavy Les Paul was no biggie as the consensus was that a heavier guitar equals more sustain. True, not true (I won’t get into all of that).

But now the pendulum has completely swung the other way. A lighter guitar eguals more resonance (true or not true)

As many details about an online, not in the hands, sale is very useful. Sweetwater is smart. I’m surprised they’re not giving neck measurements yet.

These days the weight issue isn't so much a "tone" or "resonance" problem but a "I can't hold this damn thing any longer" problem. That's why Billy Gibbons has guitars with even the neck hollowed out! Old guys' backs are so bad.

These days the weight issue isn't so much a "tone" or "resonance" problem but a "I can't hold this damn thing any longer" problem. That's why Billy Gibbons has guitars with even the neck hollowed out! Old guys' backs are so bad.
That’s cause we’re old 😂

:ROFLMAO: Those are geezer pleezers. My '76 LP was so heavy I rarely stood when I played.

It's not 4 different 'model numbers', just 4 different guitars - those are the manufacturing serial numbers..

I'm still waiting for a new GC discount coupon to get my bass. No Mothers Day coupon - how sexist, you know there'll be a Fathers Day one!

Sweetwater has a couple Gretsch Junior Jet demo bass guitars @ 10% off : a Bristol Fog and a Walnut Stain. I'm holding out for a Tobacco Sunburst. I may even talk myself into giving up my DP-03SD Porta Studio and TH-200x phones as GC trade-ins.

I would never buy a 'demo' sight-unseen for just a 10% discount, the usual GC discount is at least that much.

Back