Sam Schatz - Original nerd punk inspired by Tron

Unique song man, the mix sounds good to me, really like the little touches like the variation in the background vocals. I guess if I had to pick on something I'd say the little bloops and bleeps could be more in the background, they kind of pop in front of everything on my headphones. Cool song, definitely hear a "they might be giants" influence.

Neat song. very clean.
One gripe - in the chorus there's a trashy sound effect that I think is interfering with vocal clarity. This would be a fun one to master.

I think this mix is never going to be killer until you fix the arrangement. There is so much going on that it is cluttered. IMO there could be some effective addition by subtraction. That's not to say you eliminate ideas, just do them more strategically.

Something sounds flat. to sure all the sound effects are agreeing with the tones of the instruments - intonation wise.

Cool song. For me, it's the same thing with all these songs you've done recently. The vocal is out front, while the backing tracks seem to be off in the distance.

I think the vocals are sitting out front and on top of the mix. They could use more compression and be backed off a bit. Vocals seems to get even louder in the chorus, and the instruments disappear into a kind of mushy haze

i agree the vocals aren't meshing as well as they could with the rest, which sounds well mixed. it almost sounds like a voice-over with music playing in the background. i'd look at more vocal compression and double check the verb. that's just me though

---------- Update ----------

.... aquabats!

Thanks all.

Easlern, yeah, I can take the bleeps down a bit.
RedStone. You mean the SID snare (on the 2 and 4)? I'll look into it.
IBB - Cluttered is how my mixes roll! This one did feel harder to tame than normal; I may just be out of shape for Regdar mixes. As to pitch, all my strings are old. I should have changed them first, and there isn't time to re-track. :( I'll have to edit more judiciously, I suppose.
Robus+bulls+drush. I might be able to bring the vox down a touch or compress them more. They probably seem louder in the chorus because there are more parts. (I like the aquabats, but I haven't listened to too much of them. Shark Fighter is some brilliant songwriting tho.)

I'll try to get a new mix up this evening.

A'ight. New mix: Sam Schatz | Regdar and the Fighters

Conveniently, the single string out of all of them most prone to intonation issues is isolated. I just dropped it.
Lead vox are much lower. Pushing 3 dB. Seems a little buried to me... I dunno...
Synths are a few dB lower.
I didn't alter the weird synth drums, 'cause I decided I like them where they are for now.

Thanks all! If you have more feedback, let me know!

haha, Steve you tragic nerd!

Not a lot to say about this really - its not anyone is really qualified to make an assessment of glitched-out-nerd-punk. Only comment is that the glitch noises could come up a tiny bit when you're not singing.

I've got this this stuck in my head now.

Back