NightError … new original tune (rock, alternative, soft punk?!)

I thought the guitars sounded good. So did the vocals. No real issues on the tone of everything.

The mix is a bit narrow. Everything in the center is stronger than things on the edges.

The intro is a bit long.

But in general I thought it was real good.

I thought the guitars sounded good. So did the vocals. No real issues on the tone of everything.

The mix is a bit narrow. Everything in the center is stronger than things on the edges.

The intro is a bit long.

But in general I thought it was real good.
Thanks, I appreciate the comments. Ideas to make the mix sound less narrow? Is it an EQ issue? Or main vocal a little too loud?
Thanks.

I’m guilty of long intros!

I wrote and rock-corded this last week. Lyrics are about a recurring nightmare had when I was a little kid, lol! Kind of slower pop punk/alternative.

Curious how this one sounds on your end. Feedback is appreciated. Thanks for listening!

View attachment 136610
A very Social Distortion/Mike Ness Feel to the song - guitars are good - drums need more definition and stronger - are they a real drum set or something like EZ Drummer?

A very Social Distortion/Mike Ness Feel to the song - guitars are good - drums need more definition and stronger - are they a real drum set or something like EZ Drummer?
Real drums, no replacement or samples…I figured my sloppy playing would give it away!
It’s been a real struggle trying to get a good drum sound in a small room…but I’m determined!

Is there a specific aspect of the drums that could use some attention in the mix? EQ? Volume of an individual part?
Thanks

Is there a specific aspect of the drums that could use some attention in the mix? EQ? Volume of an individual part?
Thanks
Overall impact of the sound - I would bring the Snare, KickDrum and Highhat up - use a Convolution Reverb on them to get rid of the room sound - Compress the snare and kick to give it some punch.

Overall impact of the sound - I would bring the Snare, KickDrum and Highhat up - use a Convolution Reverb on them to get rid of the room sound - Compress the snare and kick to give it some punch.
I’ll play with that, thanks. The snare and kick are compressed pretty good, but there’s always more room. I do start to fight the cymbals when compressing the snare too much. A balancing act.

I have only a touch of reverb on the drums. Put a convolution reverb on to hide the room sound…I can play with that too.

I wonder how much it would help to just bring the main vocal down a little. Will balance out better with the kick/snare, and wide rhythm guitars.

Thank you.

Definite 80s vibe! :)
I think all your levels are fine, but the mid highs of your vox are overlapping and saturating with the guitars a bit...

Nice!

Last edited:
I’ll play with that, thanks. The snare and kick are compressed pretty good, but there’s always more room. I do start to fight the cymbals when compressing the snare too much. A balancing act.
Then I would go the opposite on the Snare and Kick - I just think they need to open up - to match the energy of the guitars and vocals.
I have only a touch of reverb on the drums. Put a convolution reverb on to hide the room sound…I can play with that too.
I heard the Reverb - maybe you are right.

I wonder how much it would help to just bring the main vocal down a little. Will balance out better with the kick/snare, and wide rhythm guitars.
That's a good thought - it may be the vocals are overshadowing everything - I think they are good vocals - really are locked in to the vibe.

Tha
Then I would go the opposite on the Snare and Kick - I just think they need to open up - to match the energy of the guitars and vocals.

I heard the Reverb - maybe you are right.

That's a good thought - it may be the vocals are overshadowing everything - I think they are good vocals - really are locked in to the vibe.
Thanks, I really do appreciate all the comments. It’s so hard to judge your own music that you’ve heard one hundred times. It’s impossible to listen objectively. I’ll make some changes with I have some time this weekend.

Sounds good to me!

I wouldn't change a lot at all, maybe it could do with a bit of widening (in the top end) but that's about it to my ear.
I appreciate the feedback! By “widening in the top end” do you mean a little more top end in the panned instruments (drum overheads and rhythm guitars)? Thank you!

I appreciate the feedback! By “widening in the top end” do you mean a little more top end in the panned instruments (drum overheads and rhythm guitars)? Thank you!

I'd do this one with an m/s eq on the master bus. Is this getting sent out to master or are you doing it?

Last edited:
I'd do it with an m/s eq on the master bus. Is this getting sent out to master or are you doing it?
I just eq, compress, and pan individual tracks. I’ve never used a M/S EQ; I’m a total amateur! I need to learn more about it. I’ll see if I have any plugins that would work. Which do you use?

Edit: I just did a search. Looks like the EQ 8 in Ableton has a M/S mode. I’ll dive into that and figure this out.

Last edited:
Back