S/PDIF still used?

bhweb

Hello. I have a studio-in-a-box, a Yamaha AW16G. It has a digital stereo IN and OUT pair of jacks which I have never used. This is mainly because although my MacBook Pro has a S/PDIF OUT function, it has no IN function. Lately I have been wondering if this technology can still be used. I have no other gear with the S/PDIF available anywhere, so connections would have to be made via some type of converter. Comment is invited.

What are you trying to do with it?

If you have a DAT recorder, most have an optical S/PDIF port. I have a receiver with optical port, and a Hauppage video capture device that will let me record S/PDIF signals. I use it to record things off my DVR. I use the optical for the sound (comes down in full 5.1) and use the RGB from the DVR to get 1080i capture. I could just as easily dump the audio from my AW16G.

If you're wanting to get the information off the the AW16G, it's easiest to burn tracks to a CD-RW, and then dump them down to a computer. I did that with mine. It's a pain, and the tracks don't come down with any of the effects if you have done a mixdown. The only way to do that would be to burn a stereo track with only two channels being processed, and then dump that to CDRW.

Probably not as much as it was an d perhaps should be? A look online will give you a vast range of S/PDIF devices. A to Ds and D to A's NOTE! The latter are FAR more common so caveat whatsit when purchasing. Search engines do not differentiate. The boxes start at about $20 and go silly from there. You can also get format converters, RCA to Optical and V/V. Optical can be used to break a ground loop. Again, cheap as chips.

I have a 'Techole' S/PDIF to RCA* converter taking optical digital and feeding annyloggy to an Arcam Alpha amplifier and thence to a pair of Tannoy 5As. Got Mozart S38 running atmo. Glorious!

Dave.

Back