S/PDIF Query

Dopps

Hi everyone. Bear with me because I'm no Tecky. I have a VF80 and want to hook it up to my PC by S/PDIF. Now I was just told that this would be the best wayto do things so can anyone tell me what the connecting lead is called and how to connect it (Preferably using large colourful drawings!)

S/pdif

Does your soundcard have coaxial (RCA connector) or optical (TosLink) S/PDIF I/O?

The VF has TosLink I/O (square connectors, fiber-optic cable). If you need a S/PDIF coax-optical converter, they are available and as inexpensive as $15.

Paj
8^?

I'm sure the connectors are round and look like audio I/O's but they say S/PDIF above them. I might just take it into the shop and show them exactly what I need.

coax

They're Coaxial---I think that that its also the most common flavor of S/PDIF connector on soundcards.

Paj
8^)

So then My cable would be 2 coaxial co9nnectors on both ends? Sorry for being so simple but I am only just coming to terms with all of this stuff.

nope. your VF80 has a "TOSLINK" or fiber optics connector. Your sound card appears to have a coaxial (RCA type) connector. You need a device, like mentioned above, to convert the fiber optic to coaxial.

Is that what the 2 S/PDIF / DATA connectors are? I don't doubt your word but as has been said the optic connector is rectangular whereas on the back there are 2 round connectors for the S/PDIF.

Now this is looking like it's close to what I need The RCA looks like it would fit a like a jimmy hat into the S/PDIF connectors and the 1/8" jack looks like it would fit the back of my pc!

Back