Roxul Safe N Sound in only 3" thicknesses...

wmalan

So I've finally have my spare room to setup. I've look long and far to find 2" or 4". But low and behold I can only find Roxul Safe N Sound in 3" thicknesses (special order from Lowes here in Los Angeles). So... double up to 6" for the bass traps and then use 3" for first reflections and such?

Bill

I've read (here) that the low-end sound absorption from Safe&Sound is not as good as other insulations, but I don't understand a lot of hte frequency charts that are posted (like what happens when you double thicknesses).

My read was that Corning 703 & Roxul SnS are close (no expert here). I like the idea of no fibers compared to fiberglass. One of the bass traps behind me will block a door so it will be moved daily. As will one of the first reflection units.

I doubled the 3" stuff for my bass traps. I also do not know the specifics on the frequency blocking abilities, but simply put, It works very well IMO. I used to have massive bass flutter problems. Now, I don't notice any of it in my room. I also use them as sound blocks on guitar cabs. Helps me control the volume in the room while practicing with the band. Simply place a mic directly on the cab for mixing to the floor wedges, then block off the cab with a trap or two. does amazing things to help control the sound level, and by focusing the sound through the mixer and into the floor wedges, the "more me" requests from the guitarists does not affect every other player who has their own wedge to monitor with.

For first point reflection, I tracked down 2" Roxul Cavity Rack. Cost me $70 CAD for a package of 8 2'x4' pieces. Haven't built these panels yet though, so I have no objective opinion on whether they will work or not.

I doubled the 3" stuff for my bass traps. I also do not know the specifics on the frequency blocking abilities, but simply put, It works very well IMO. I used to have massive bass flutter problems. Now, I don't notice any of it in my room. I also use them as sound blocks on guitar cabs. Helps me control the volume in the room while practicing with the band. Simply place a mic directly on the cab for mixing to the floor wedges, then block off the cab with a trap or two. does amazing things to help control the sound level, and by focusing the sound through the mixer and into the floor wedges, the "more me" requests from the guitarists does not affect every other player who has their own wedge to monitor with.

For first point reflection, I tracked down 2" Roxul Cavity Rack. Cost me $70 CAD for a package of 8 2'x4' pieces. Haven't built these panels yet though, so I have no objective opinion on whether they will work or not.

Thanks for the info on the bass traps. They're what I'm building first so I'll go with doubling. As far as first reflections, I may just go with the 3" as well.

1 on the SafenSound. It compares similarly to the rock board by Roxul and both compare to OC very well.

It is softer and less rigid than the others, can be an advantage or disadvantage depending on design purpose.

I've been researching the OC703, Roxul RockBoard60 and Roxul SNS materials.

My conclusion is Roxul RB60 is by far and away the best of all 3 for bass traps. OC703 is the best at absorbtion above 250hz. The SNS for frequencies above 250hz is not as good as 703, but better than RB60.

Spec's are below. Absorbtion Coefficient is expressed as a percentage. So spec at 125hz of .90 means 90% is absorbed and 10% is reflected.

The way I'll treat my room is RB60 for bass traps, and 2" or 3" 703 for reflection points.

Attachments

• Owens Corning 703 specs.jpg
    Owens Corning 703 specs.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 209
  • roxul RB60 specs.jpg
    roxul RB60 specs.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 184
  • Roxul SnS specs.jpg
    Roxul SnS specs.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 194
I've been researching the OC703, Roxul RockBoard60 and Roxul SNS materials.

My conclusion is Roxul RB60 is by far and away the best of all 3 for bass traps. OC703 is the best at absorbtion above 250hz. The SNS for frequencies above 250hz is not as good as 703, but better than RB60.

Spec's are below. Absorbtion Coefficient is expressed as a percentage. So spec at 125hz of .90 means 90% is absorbed and 10% is reflected.

The way I'll treat my room is RB60 for bass traps, and 2" or 3" 703 for reflection points.

I poked around a bit more on this subject. Even looked at super chunks for the traps. In the end, I ordered 2 packs of the 3" SnS to start. The room is a real compromise as it's almost square 10' with an 8' ceiling (typical bedroom). :(

So... Traps, first reflections, cloud, etc... Hopefully this will be a workable treatment for my humble "studio". Btw, I made some cool monitor floor stands out of 4" abs (filled with sand). So at least my desk is not vibrating the bass.

Back