rough draft,...rock

Calwood

This is a tune I'm working on. The way I write is,..I'll get some drums and guitar going,..then I'll sing (well attempt to anyway) some random thoughts and sounds,..just whatever comes to mind. Then I'll go back and write some lyrics to what it sounds like I was saying,..and adjust the music a bit and record the final tracks. It's been working out pretty good for me.
Anyway,..give it a listen. I havent written the lyrics for this yet but i got some good ideas and think it might turn out ok.

Anything ya wanna say helps.

take 'er easy,...
Calwood

Might want to back the reverb off......a lot.......kinda muddies up the whole thing...other than that.....not bad!

Cool man, nice crunching riff moving the song along. Good guitar sounds. The vox are kinda hard to hear and understand. Maybe some more volume or seperation on those. Vox give me a little bit of radiohead vide. Maybe a little high end heavy overall too. Song rocks though, cool :cool: :cool:

Thanks for the replies guys. I agree theres too much verb. When i record the final takes of this I'll back off on it some. I dont like my vox and always tend to bury them with reverb and the like.

Like I said though theres really no lyrics to speak of,..I was just saying whatever came to mind. Most of the vox arent even real words,..just random consonant and vowel sounds.

By the way,... anyone want to write lyrics to this? Would be kinda fun to see what people come up with. Usually when I do this I mix the vox extremely low so I can just barely here them and write whatever it sounds like and try to make it into a story that fits the mood of the tune. These are a little too loud but it can still work.

Anyway if anyone wants to write some that would be pretty cool.

Take 'er easy,..
Calwood

Calwood said:
Thanks for the replies guys. I agree theres too much verb. When i record the final takes of this I'll back off on it some. I dont like my vox and always tend to bury them with reverb and the like.

Like I said though theres really no lyrics to speak of,..I was just saying whatever came to mind. Most of the vox arent even real words,..just random consonant and vowel sounds.

By the way,... anyone want to write lyrics to this? Would be kinda fun to see what people come up with. Usually when I do this I mix the vox extremely low so I can just barely here them and write whatever it sounds like and try to make it into a story that fits the mood of the tune. These are a little too loud but it can still work.

Anyway if anyone wants to write some that would be pretty cool.

Take 'er easy,..
Calwood
Interesting method of songwriting, I must say. Very unique. :)

I think it's a pretty cool tune. I have quite a bit of music similar to this....with the drowned out vocals, and more of a percussive sound. Really cool stuff. Nice riffs. they interact with the drums well. Very nice vibe to the song. I might have a stab at some lyrics...I've got some lines I keep crossing out of what I am currently working on, and a few seem to fit already, so I might have something.

Cool tune man...I enjoyed it.

I'm goin' on a mini-vacation for the 4th but i'll try to check this thread out over the next few days to see if your done. Take your time.

I've written some lyrics for it as well,..since i posted this tune. Maybe the two can merge or maybe yours will fit better.
If I can,..I'll post the ones I wrote for it over the weekend.

Thanks again for spending some time on it. Anyone else is free to put their ideas in as well.

Take 'er easy,..
Calwood

Here's what I have so far...I had to redo it, as nothing really fit when I tried it out.
Telling me, that all you see is real, and you don't deny…
The pain you inflict, do you know I feel, life goes on by.

As I bow down to you, there's no way out
The power you have on me, I do not doubt
There is no way out, can I make it right?
The darkness falls on me, No end in sight
I see you pray on them, as you did on me….

Falling back, as I gather my thoughts, will you set me free?
Realize the illusions that I have, but I never see…

I could do more, but can't seem to get any time right now....so let me know if anything works, and what you have, and if you want some more input.

I was reading those lyrics and got more of an acoustic feel. So,..I played around with it a bit and got something interesting going. I couldnt really make 'em fit to "No Way Out". I could get the first line but after that it didnt really seem to fit. Maybe i was trying to stay to close to what I have now. I'll give it a few more try's and maybe try and do a music re-write. If you have some more ideas for this set of lyrics let me know and Ill post the acoustic idea.

This was the direction I was heading in with "No Way Out"

Forlorn eyes conceal my own
Immortal life
Called at night we saw the same omen
I now share thier plight
This is how,..we live
as we have for so long
and now,..for me
real life's all gone

Now I know why
All this happened to me
and i,..steal lives so go hide
before it happens to you
but i see no way out

For in my soul there's many lives and
two more have died
Howling at night,..I've seen with my own eyes
two more will rise
So long,..it seems
till I go out
Oh how,..I'll feed
and realize somehow

That I know why
All this happened to me
and i see a,..new life
about to happen to you
and i see no way out

And i know why
all this happened to me,..and now
I know i've seen it happen to you
and I,..see no,..way out

Anyway,..i was makin' it into a story about a guy who realizes that he's a vampire. Yeah,..I know,..it's kinda cheesy,..but,...it fits anyway. I'm still playin' with this.
Thanks alot for putting some time in on it. I really like the lyrics you wrote. If I cant get 'em to fit in this tune,..I''l use 'em in another one if thats cool with you.

Take 'er easy,..
Calwood

No problem man...I was writing stuff, and thought it was good, but when I actually tried to put it to the music, it wasn't right, and it parralelled other things I was trying, so I started over. I tried to make it go with what you had, but I also "heard" other things in what you were doing. Nothing was fitting right. Sounded all nifty in my head, but then ended up being a jumble.

I'd love to hear this finished though. Let me know when you have something done.
Ed

As a result of the buried washy sound the voice reminds me, in the guitar bits, of mid period David Byrne.
I recognise the main riff but can't put my finger on it which means you get to keep it eh!
Actually the verby sound is cool. I like buried vox & lyrics. Gives a listener something to work on. Obscure can lead to meaningful misinterpretation. How often have the real lyric to a song been a disappointment when read?
Oh, a little definiton on the bass please.

the intro riff reminds me of local h, copacetic. everyone borrows from something though. i like the verby vocal sound too. it seems to fit well and i like the way you sing. please don't practice to get better! your singing style has originality and i would'nt change a thing. overall sound is good here. drums are a little out of time.......sounds like me playing bfd on keyboard. :D

Dogman,...yeah I here ya. I cant tell you how many times I've had it all worked out only to end up with nothing fitting the way I heard it in my head.
I've been working on this tune though and I think I will use some of those lines you wrote in places that I wasnt too happy with what I had. That acoustic idea fell flat on its face on the road to nowhere. Thanks again for putting up some ideas for it. I really appreciate the help.

rayc,..."Obscurity can lead to meaningful misinterpretation" Man,...thats awesome,..if you dont mind I will use that quote as many times as I can. You hit the nail on the head. Thats exactly what I'm trying to do,..as far as writing is concerned. I agree with your post 100%. Thanks for the review.

TravisinFlorida,...Thanks for the compliment on my singing,...they are VERY few and far between,..but every time someone says that,.. it is very encouraging. I dont think I have a song yet that I havent flubbed the drums on.
Thanks for the review.

Back