rough Acoustic Sample

SnakeDog5050

2 headed snake witha rake
Hi, just looking for help on my acoustic setup before I record any acoustic stuff for real. I have very very little experience at recording acoustic, so any tips would help. How do the acoustics sound solo and also with the drums/bass?

EDIT: updated link: removed verb, lowered volume on drums, adjusted bass
Acoustic Demo 4
Acoustic Demo 4 (streaming)

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
a few recording notes...

-recorded on a Studio Projects B1, with the acoustic about 2 feet away for the lead, a little farther for the rhythm

-There's 5 tracks
1 Acoustic rhythm panned 15% left
2 Acoustic lead panned 15% right
3 Drums
4 Bass Guitar
5 Tambourine

-I've EQed some, but don't know much about acoustic EQing
-I need to stop making extra noises (& my cell phone rings near the end :rolleyes: )

Hi Snakedoggy!! Your sig is on here!!

The acoustic is clear and defined....still listening.

The drums are a bit canned and distant sounding. You know, like they are not quite in the mix.

Tambourine is right on....don't loose it. Please and thank you. :D

At 1:36 there is a noise....what x-tra sound affect is that? :D

The bass could be a bit thicker I think. Like the way this is going.

You are one surf-rocking-acoustified Walrus !!!

I am listening still Snake! This is a catchy Snaketune...well they all are, but each new one is just predominating at the time.

Guitar sound is very clear and appears well in the mix (musician comment: take a look on strings tune, study with a metronome to a much better record, ...)
Overall mix sounds ok and clean.I´m curious to know about the pre/mixer/converter setup, which sounds pretty good to me.

Then, congratulations, specially for "snakedog engineer", that makes a good job. :cool:

And...who was on the phone? :D

Ciro

Has some good sounds Snake...but I think you mixed the extra sounds in a bit loud...try dropping them a few db, and let the acoustic carry the tune. I think the acoustic is quite fine, and will mix in well. (none of the sounds are bad, just like the acoustic pretty well...)

Let it all be pretty natural, as the acoustic has a nice tone. Maybe compress the whole mix some, to even it out. All the sounds are doing fine, just even them to make the tune what you imagine in your head. If you want it to be mainly acoustic, let that be the main focus.

Nice playing man, and good capture of the sound. :cool:

Thanks you three for the feedback, I'll take everything into note when I record this ;)

Shark Girl True- Haha, the 1:36 effect is actually the cell phone. You caught me too, I was so focused on messing with the acoustic I haven't done much with the drums/bass yet. Cool you liked the acoustic sound though and song, it's a cut up version of a song I'll record after I hear what feedback I get on this :)

CIRO - thanks for the tips. All I remember is whoever was on the phone, I was kind of mad at them for calling then. Oh well, just a demo. The setup I have for this is... I have the B1 mic plugged into a Peavey PV8 mixer, that goes into an EMU-0404 sound card, then into guitar tracks pro. The bass was recorded direct into the same mixer with the amplitude software for the tone.

Dogman - By the "other sounds" do you mean everything but the acoustic? I know there's some noise to remove there too, I'm just not used to having to keep the dogs quiet and cell phone off to record :D I'll take all your advice when I record the real songs since my vision for this is definitely a natural acoustic vibe, thanks dawg ;)

CIRO said:
Then, EMU 0404 really works , very clean and accurate!

Ciro

I personally hear a big difference between the 0404 and my the stock sound card that came with my computer. Especially in recording, but even when playing my mp3 collection, I hear the difference immediately when switching between the two.

Hey Mr SnakeDog, cool collection of chords and riffs even for a "demo". This can easily become a snakedog tune I think.....

You've captured the rhythm acoustic well in the intro, and the lead mixes well with it, the panning is subtle but helps differentiate.

I lost the rhythm when the drums came in though, they were kicking but they overpowered the rhythm a bit. The lead carried through no problem though.....

Just need to do a bit of mixing on the drums/rhythm to get a good balance. Solo, it's just fine - clean, clear and bright.

Do like your style man - instantly recognizable and familiar - you have a trademark sound which is what really counts in music!

ido1957 said:
Hey Mr SnakeDog, cool collection of chords and riffs even for a "demo". This can easily become a snakedog tune I think.....

You've captured the rhythm acoustic well in the intro, and the lead mixes well with it, the panning is subtle but helps differentiate.

I lost the rhythm when the drums came in though, they were kicking but they overpowered the rhythm a bit. The lead carried through no problem though.....

Just need to do a bit of mixing on the drums/rhythm to get a good balance. Solo, it's just fine - clean, clear and bright.

Do like your style man - instantly recognizable and familiar - you have a trademark sound which is what really counts in music!

Thanks Ido for the listen, appreciate all the comments. When listening again I noticed too that the rhtyhm disappears a bit when the drums come in, I wasn't sure if it was because I backed up and played full chords instead of picking or if it wasn't loud enough. I'll check it out.

Well what I was worried about more was the acoustic sound, so sounds so far from you guys like the acoustic is okay, I just have to get my mixing shoes on a bit better when I record the real thing. This demo is actually a cut up version of a longer song, just to get some feedback on the acoustic sound.
Thanks again :)

The acoustic sounds just great. :) Very nice.

Nice playing rhythm and lead.

The drums sound boomy. More verb to them than the guitars. The guitars open and clean and the drums like they're in a room separate from the guitars. And a little loud. Nothing wrong with playing just the mix in the overall track doesn't mix the two.

Back to the acoustics, they sound really great. The mood changes are really cool. The ending is really nice. :)

Good feel to the arrangement. The lead acoustic gtr tone is solid and the playing very good. The highs of the backing gtr sound kind of squashed/compressed to me. The tune has a lot of potential when it gets a little rhythmically tighter with the drums.

Tim

Thanks for the feedback guys, I just uploaded a new mix mainly adjusting the drums verb/volume.

Bubba - How you doing man? I just completely removed the verb and lowered the volume on the drums so hopefully that evens things out a bit. Thanks for the feedback, glad you enjoy the playing and sound :)

Gorty - I set up the track for "free download for everyone but Gorty" Okay, I adjusted that, you can try again later :p

Tim - Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into the rhythm guitar, overall I was worried about it being too bright so I probably EQed that too much. The playing was a tad bit sloppy and cut up in this demo since I wanted to get the acoustic sound right before I went for the real thing. I'm used to electric where I can change things so much more after. Thanks about the playing/potential :cool:

SnakeDog5050 said:
Thanks for the feedback guys, I just uploaded a new mix mainly adjusting the drums verb/volume.

Bubba - How you doing man? I just completely removed the verb and lowered the volume on the drums so hopefully that evens things out a bit. Thanks for the feedback, glad you enjoy the playing and sound :)
Hey buddy! Doing good. :) Just been lazy. Spend some time on a stock message forum and then on here. Sometimes, only devote time to either or for quite some time. :)

Been recording good amount of techno, and some guitar pieces. Will post some sometime. :)

I like the new changes you've made. So you've got some acoustics too. Pretty cool. The imagery set up by most of your tracks is pretty out there and elaborate and this acoustic thing adds another brush and paint color to your pallete. :)

The only nit i have is on timing......sems to have lost the time when the drums came in and went out....other than that.....cool tune!!!

Mr. Bubba - Cool man, look forward to hearing some more from you. Definitely like some of the melodies you put together. Yeah and techno is pretty fun to mess with, I finally tried that techno/rock combo we were talking about a while back. If you're bored sometime it's "Pyscho llamas in Space" first one on my www.soundclick.com/jameswalrus page... I used the rock drums, but mixed techno beats more and more as the song goes on..

Yeah, the painting analogy is exactly what I was thinking. I've had a lot of songs I wanted acoustic in, but ended up with clean electric, so know I can get closer to what I imagine in my mind... next up is the synth :)

jpw23 - thanks for checking it out man! The timing is the only thing I didn't worry about much since it was a sample. I feared of practicing this, getting some perfect takes, then finding out the acoustic sound wasn't miced welll. So I went for the sound sample first :)

Did you tweak on this?

Am I supposed to listen to the version in the first post or what? :D :confused:

Nevermind!! I see your edit!! :D

true-eurt said:
Sounding really good Snakedoggy...love the clear definition with the acoustic!!

Cool, thanks for the second listen True. Thanks to all the recommendations above I think it's improved. I'm still not crazy about the bass sound, I'll keep adjusting a bit. :D

Back