Roland VS-2480CD to Pro Tools?

sean.brown

Hey guys!
So I'm frusterated and lost trying to get a studio setup. I have mine setup fine with my Projectmix I/O and PT M-Powered (7.4 CS2)! But my Dad, on the other hand, has a Roland VS-2480CD and swears by it.

He really wanted to get into Pro Tools and go digital, so I went ahead and bought two M-Audio Delta 1010 units and a pretty nice PC setup as well as Pro Tools M-Powered, thinking I could use those and achieve a 16 channel input setup (which is all he said he really needed - his Roland unit has 24 tracks but only records simultaneously 16 when at the frequencies he records at anyways).

I set up the Computer (with all the newest M-Audio drivers, Vista, and SP1) and Pro Tools M-Powered and am now receiving the error DAE Error -6006 whenever I start the program, then it shuts the program down. When I take one of the 1010's out of the computer, it loads right into Pro Tools just fine!

Here's my question: What do I need to do to get both of these working at once? They seem to be working fine in the M-Audio control panel! I called M-Audio and Digidesign and they both said that you CANNOT run multiple input devices with ANY version of Pro Tools.

If that is true, what should I do? Sell off the 1010's and PT M-Powered? Buy something else like a 002 that I can use to interface with his VS-2480CD (which is what I was planning to do via the SPDIF in/out on one of the 1010's and use the board as a control surface).

He needs 16 tracks analog simultaneous into Pro Tools, at least 4 sets of stereo outputs (for mixing into rack units), and to be able to use his VS-2480 CD as a control surface. And I have no way of getting this to him at this point!

Help!

Ok, here's the deal

you cannot run 2 audio interfaces wth PT. Full stop.

What input requirements do you have? Do you need 16 mic preamps? or can you use the preamps on the VS-2480 and have a digital output stream? Cause you've got a number of options as I see:

1) If you need 16 mic/line inputs, then the M-Audio Profire Lightbridge with say two Behringer ADA8000 would have you sorted.

2) If you can output optical ADAT, then just buy the Lightbridge

I think those are the 2 most economical options?

Ok, here's the deal

you cannot run 2 audio interfaces wth PT. Full stop.

What input requirements do you have? Do you need 16 mic preamps? or can you use the preamps on the VS-2480 and have a digital output stream? Cause you've got a number of options as I see:

1) If you need 16 mic/line inputs, then the M-Audio Profire Lightbridge with say two Behringer ADA8000 would have you sorted.

2) If you can output optical ADAT, then just buy the Lightbridge

I think those are the 2 most economical options?

So with the VS2480, I need to get a pair of R-Bus to ADAT converters (because the ADAT onboard is only stereo mix) but after that, essentially I could run the optical out from the converters into the Lightbridge's optical inputs? That really sounds like the best plan since I can get a Lightbridge for around $300, and it leaves expandability up to 32 tracks of input.

The only thing that sucks right now is the cost of the R-Bus to ADAT converters (Roland's DIF-AT24) which are nowhere to be found used and cost $360 a piece new. That's $700 plus the $300 for the Lightbridge.

So we're at $1000. About the same as getting a used ProjectMix I/O and Octane Preamp...

And it's really sad that all of this is just to get tracks into Pro Tools. When I could just buy a PreSonus V-Fire used for $80 shipped that would get all the tracks straight into ANY other audio suite via Firewire. Ugh. Stupid propriatary bullsh**.

**Compatible with Pro Tools M-Powered 7.4 with downloadable update. Please visit m-audio.com for update availability. 96kHz and 18 x 18 I/O maximum with Pro Tools M-Powered. * Pro Tools M-Powered currently supports a maximum of 18 simultaneous inputs and outputs.

and they wont change this cause if they did they would lose there ass on TDM users with uad dsp card support and the ability to run more then 16 quality adat digital ins and outs with your choice of converters no one would go TDM

UPDATE:
In the end we decided to go with the firewire Profire Lightbridge and 2 DIF-AT24 boxes running out of the R-BUS on the VS-2480. It works great. You just have to rout tracks from the Roland VS control panel to the R-BUS i/o and connect the firewire cables i/o of the Lightbridge and you've got not only 16 tracks simultaneous recording through the inputs on the VS-2480 to Pro Tools, but also control/sync of Pro Tools via MIDI
AND
you can use the mixing capabilities by running your tracks in Pro Tools out to the R-BUS as well. It works great. Just having some issues with a MIDI keyboard at the moment, but hopefully we'll get a hold of someone who can help with that.

Thanks for your advice!

I am in need of some help again.

We can't seem to get 16 tracks of OUTPUT from the VS2480 to ProTools.

We can easily run each track from ProTools to an input on the RBUS on the VS2480 and get 16 tracks of INPUT from ProTools to the VS2480, but when we attempt to do the opposite, running the recording inputs from the VS2480 to the DIRECT and AUX of the board to the RBUS to ProTools, only the DIRECT (1-8) channels seem to work.

We also tried turning on the TRACK DIRECT OUT and with that on, nothing seems to get from the board to ProTools.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Back