Roland BR1200CD or Zoom MRS1608

huntsman64

As someone about to move into the digital recording world, and having narrowed my search down to these two models, which do you reckon is the best buy?

I can get them both for the same price and obviously the Zoom has more tracks but as a bedroom recorder I would appreciate any advice anyone could give

My 1266

I myself have never used a Boss recorder. I have owned a couple of Zoom MRS recorders the latest was a MRS1266. When I first bought the 1266 I was hating the thing. I thought It sounded terrible. After some serious manual reading, purchasing a couple of good condensor mics, learning how to set all the recording levels, and buying a better pre-amp I started getting some decent recordings. I have been told by guys who went from the 1266 to the 1608 there is a big improvement in the effects, drum machine, and bass generator, but as far as the overall sound pretty much the same. Like I said I've never owned a Boss recorder. I can't see spending almost $1100.00 for a Boss BR1200 which only records two channels at a time, when you can record 8 channels and have pretty much the same features as the Boss BR1600 for half the price. I am not going to say that the Zoom sounds any better or worse than the Boss. I think that Zoom has came along way over the past few years with their equipment. I talked to a recording engineer at Sweetwater and he said that the Zoom MRS1600CD was simply the best bang for the buck right now. I said "better than the Boss recorders" he said " in his opinion yes" I never even told him I was looking at a Zoom MRS1608, I just asked his opinion on which recorder he thought was the best buy for the money right now. I'm hoping that there will be someone who will chime in here and say they've owned both and give you an honest comparison.

Carvin Man

Just a quick one! I have the Boss BR1600 and have churned out some very nice!!! souding tunes. The unit is very versatile and has USB connections for hook up to a PC. Plenty of onboard features, amp modellers, bass simulators, programmable drums, the list goes on. I will try and get back later with some more info.

:)
Kev

Yes, another vote for the Boss BR-1600. It's very easy to use and you can get really nice sounding results. It also records with no data compression.

I once owned the BR-1180. which is also easy to use. I think the BR-1200 is basically the same machine. Anyway, if you could afford the few extra$$$ the BR-1600 is definitely worth it. Nicer reverb and more inputs with preamps.

Zoom Zoom Zoom....

I spent much time agonising over this one, too.

Just focusing on specs vs price I just could not see any reasonable justification for buying anything other than the Zoom 1608.

My main worry was quality - in the past I had a bad experience with some Zoom kit (Player 3030 guitar FX) which in terms of physical construction was v. poor quality, and in terms of electronics was VERY cumbersome to program or at times even understand what it was doing.

However, respected sources (Guitarist magazine and Sound on Sound) were saying some very nice things about the 1608 and they were both reviewing on the basis of it being a £799 RRP - when in fact it cost me £489 including CD).

In the end I bought it, and I certainly do not regret it.

The quality of this thing - in physical construction, electronics, and ease of use, is excellent and way exceeded my expectations.

I've just upgraded to the BR-1600CD and while I'm still 'learning to drive' so far I'm v. impressed. For years I used a BR-8 and the difference in sound quality with the 1600 is v. noticeable. Great editing features, jammed with on-board effects, easy to navigate - i.e. prolly what you've already heard elsewhere. Looking forward to playing with the mastering tool kit to see what that can do n'all. Worth the extra spondoolies, I reckon.

You'll have hours of fun, I know I do......the BR1600 churns out some sweet sounding tunes! :)

Bought it!!

Well I bought the BR1600 about a week ago and it's scaring me. The functionality for someone relatively new to recording is unbelievable :eek: !! Thanks for the advice, it's an incredible piece of kit.

I will have more questions I'm sure, bear with me and thanks again! ;)

huntsman64 said:
Well I bought the BR1600 about a week ago and it's scaring me. The functionality for someone relatively new to recording is unbelievable :eek: !! Thanks for the advice, it's an incredible piece of kit.

I will have more questions I'm sure, bear with me and thanks again! ;)

Huntsman64............feel free to fire away with any questions on the BR 1600, hopefully we can be of help to you! Reading the Manual thoroughly is a good procedure, I sat in the dunny and would read mine. I found out a lot of things about the BR1600 by doing this, things I would not have come across by just playing around with it!

:) :) :) :) :)

Nice one Gorty I know what you mean. I dived straight in and tried to compile a song using the internal bass processor. I sat and meticulously tapped in the appropriate pattern but every time I played back it changed. It was driving me mad until the voice of reason (my wife) said "read the bloody manual". Sure enough the internal pattern arranged adds a chord sequence to the tracks that you have to delete before you can hear what you have 'built'. Even then you have to change the opening chord to C. :o

Having great fun though!!

I have heard quality recordings from the Roland models. I have never heard any quality recordings from the others. I had a Zoom MRS1044, it was a wonderful day when I got rid of it...for about 1/3 what I paid for it. I don't know much about the boss stuff, honestly. I will never own another Zoom product though. My advice, if you have a decent PC, get a good soundcard/interface and multitrack software...far more expandable, usable, editable...etc.

I'm in the process of adding a digital recording station to our home studio.
Looked at the Boss/Roland lines as well as Korg, Zoom....

I guess this may be a little off track from the Roland/Zoom discussion.
But does anybody here own the new Korg 3200? Its the one I'm considering at this time.

Also having been to many of the support sites for all the different models, there was something about the BR1600 having a bad batch of hard drives and lock up problems. The one thing that attracted me to it was the ability to add programmable bass...along with the usual drum kits that most other units offer. But I certainly wouldn't want to be in the middle of laying down some tracks and having the unit go out to lunch.

Thanks

fused

I did alot of research on the two recorders.

I LOVE the Boss/Roland stuff.

The Zoom stuff still seems cheap and "toy" like to me.

Just one more opinion for you to add to the "Roland/Boss" side of your Pro/Con research on the two units.

I'm doing great Gorty, thanks for asking !

My recording is coming along just fine. Got to love the Roland stuff !

I got all the gear, now I just need about 1000 hours of practise.

I would go with the Boss, mainly because they are Roland, and through my own experience Roland have always been top notch in the music department, I owned a roland keyboard, and the sound quality was top draw, I would rather pay the extra and get the BR1600, knowing what I know about Zoom recording equipment from past experiences, i would give zoom gear a swerve like

I would go with the Boss, mainly because they are Roland, and through my own experience Roland have always been top notch in the music department, I owned a roland keyboard, and the sound quality was top draw, I would rather pay the extra and get the BR1600, knowing what I know about Zoom recording equipment from past experiences, i would give zoom gear a swerve like

Welcome to the forums. You might want to look at the date of the post before posting - this thread was 7 years old. The new Zoom gear is very good, BTW.

Back