Rode M3 / MXL 2006 to pair with sm 57 - metal guitars tracking

prince_21

Hi everyone! I'm currently using an sm 57 + behringer xm8500 with a steinberg UR 22 audio interface to record my mesa boogie mark III combo. So far I have recorded lots of interesting clips using various positions. However, I ve been thinking of getting a budget ribbon or condenser mic to compliment my tones. There is nothing wrong with the sm 57, but I have the feeling that there is sth missing. Anyway, what's your opinion on the Rode M3 / various budget MXL models? Thx a lot!

I am just asking for opinions on the rode m3 / mxl budget mics here :)

Oh OK, I thought we were just extending the previous conversation, no worries. A lot of what I said in the other thread applies, it's hard to recommend what to buy as there are so many combinations, as I said I must have used quite a few and I switch around all the time. On my own bands last album I had a 57 or 421 plus a fathead ribbon and a sennheiser ME20 omni pencil condenser. In different songs I just used different blends of mic (recorded each mic to its own track), hardly touched the eq.
It was a blues / rock album not metal, but it would work anyway, so there are so many combinations that work.

Back to the question, I have used an MXL V67G on guitar cabs and that sounds good too, also a Rode NT1.

Alan.

Thx a lot man! Maybe I should just order an MXL V67G since in the future I will be recording using a nice isolation box, so that means that I won't be able to use a ribbon mic!

Back