Rewrite of inquiry about mixing to format

JeffF

Hello visited Community,

Respectfully, as a relative beginner, I've never heard previously about mixing to format. I appreciate your allowing me to inquire about this.

Is the MP3 forum's overarching view that the particular dynamics of MP3 compression loss can be further mixed toward compensation, thereby, potentially creating a better mix in MP3 format?

I do respect the integrity of others trying to get the best mix from a commonly used format if typical playback devices can reproduce that compensation and the average user can discern it from simple WAV to MP3 conversion. Do I understand the effort being made here?

I ask because I am learning on a Tascam DP24SD that creates WAV files. (A spinal issue makes learning DAW to further mix in MP3 unlikely since sitting over my computer for lengthy periods would be physically difficult. I'm hoping to find the Tascam somewhat easier than setting at a screen.)

Even though I would be distributing on a free download platform, I need your impression of whether the average user can discern WAV converted straight to MP3 if using a low-end playback device.

Otherwise, I could label files as suggested for computer or CD playback only if MP3 conversion is meant for higher-end playback devices.

Most respectfully and appreciatvely, JeffF.

Last edited:
Hi Jeff,
I don't think it's ever come up before but the forum title 'mp3 mixing clinic' is probably misleading.
No one is (or should be) mixing to/for/with mp3. It's just a convenient final output format in terms of file size.

Any daw should create wavs or aiffs (or other lossless formats) when recording, and the final output file, for lossless, should also be wav/aiff.
Choosing to create an mp3 with, or instead of, that wav is a choice, but it has no impact on the processes that take place prior.

If you're intending to send a final file to a distributor, mastering engineer, or hard-media duplicator, a wav/aiff is always better and often insisted upon, because there's no compromise.
An mp3 is usually considered acceptable for general listening and online sharing.

As to whether or not the end user can tell the difference? This is like the bit depth/sample rate debate, really.
Some will claim yes, some will claim no.

There are varying qualities of mp3 so, certainly, a low quality mp3 could be picked out of a line up,
but I doubt many people could consistently and reliably pick a 320mp3 from a wav.

As to your specific circumstances, I'd let your Tascam produce the final WAV and archive it somewhere - It's always good to have a lossless final copy.
If you want mp3 or some other format in addition, most media players, DAWs, or standalone audio converter apps, will happily create an mp3 version in a few clicks.
Your recording/mixing/mastering processes don't need to be altered with this in mind.

Hello Steenamaroo,

Before reading your reply, I sent request to remove post so not be confusing to others, but if you think it might actually add clarity that might benefit peers then I'll leave that to your discretion.

I'll cut and paste just in case.

Your reply did clear up a lot of misunderstanding for me.

In either case, thanks on all accounts--JeffF.

This forum has been around since the 90s. Back when compressing your songs down to an easily-downloaded (small) format was much more relevant!

Renaming it now might make the name more coherent, but it'll probably be a tough sell! :D

You shouldn't mix to anything but the resolution of your project, but it's certainly reasonable to master to different formats. Since we HRs tend to often at least pseudo-master, there may be some value in understanding which part of the process we're in, and conciously decide whether we're producing something that is going from our PC direct to Spotify or being burnt to a CD. In those cases I would certainly set up 2 different Alternatives (Logic-speak) and at least listen to the bounces (non-lossy PCM vs MP3) to satisfy myself they sounded the same.

I'm more and more getting in the habit of measuring true peaks, loudness, and using dithering in Ozone, and unchecking the dither/normalize boxes in the bounce step to reduce the number of things that happen between the mix-"master" and print that I haven't had my thumb on. (Not that it sounds any better, but I feel better about it :).)

Back