Reverb? Revisited...

pdlstl

Thanks to all who commented on my "Reverb?" post yesterday. I'm going to re-track the vocal per everyone's suggestions.

Here is another tune from the same project. Same reverb question and I'm also interested if there is any apparent clipping on the vocals.

Thanks for your help and for a great forum!

Honey, You Don't Know My Mind

:)

That's some sweet stuff! The vocals sound a bit crisp, maybe on the edge of being harsh; but I'm not hearing the same clipping distortion that was on the other track (which is also great by the way).

I think the type and amount of reverb on this track is completely appropriate for the style of music.

LOL at the end!

Don

Thanks Don!

I'll back off the high end on the vox just a tad.

Is the reverb a little more appropriate than the first track?

<on edit> Doh! I missed your reverb comment on the first read-through.

Reverb's perfect here... can't hear any tails standing out. Whatever's there in the reverb is just filling in with a realistic room sound.

Was this tracked with the instruments performing together? Guessing that the vox and the lead mandolin line were added after? It's got a rhythmically tight live quality.

The mix's EQ balance seems just a tiny bit shy in the low mids, although that makes the mandolin stand out when it's playing, as it's strong in that range.

Nice work all around.

Tim

That's good stuff right there, I don't usually comment here in the mp3 thread because I'm not good at hearing just the production quality (what most are concerned about). A good song sounds good to me if recorded on a soup can and dental floss, and a bad song sounds bad even if Phil Spector did it.

That said, the reverb sounds just right to me and I didn't hear any clipping in the vox.

Above that, it's a great tune and the enthusiasm comes right through. It's a great cut, nice-n-tight.

Timothy Lawler said:
Reverb's perfect here... can't hear any tails standing out. Whatever's there in the reverb is just filling in with a realistic room sound.

Was this tracked with the instruments performing together? Guessing that the vox and the lead mandolin line were added after? It's got a rhythmically tight live quality.

The mix's EQ balance seems just a tiny bit shy in the low mids, although that makes the mandolin stand out when it's playing, as it's strong in that range.

Nice work all around.

Tim

Tim,

I used your advice on the short decay time for this track.

Actually, the whole thing was tracked individually but, I purposely left it marginally rough for a bit of "live" feel.

Should I corral the mando a wee bit?

Thanks to all!

Should I corral the mando a wee bit?
I think its level and tone quality are just right. I'd just experiment with giving the vox and/or banjo & gtr tracks a little (1 dB maybe) boost in the 300-500 range and see how it sounds... or a tiny reduction in the 3-5 kHz range.

Kudos to the players for the rhythmic tightness... everybody is locked in to such an extent that it doesn't have the all-too-common "multitrack detachment" feel to it :D .

Tim

Sounds pretty good to me. Vocals sit well, and no clipping this time. Fun tune.
Ed

Like the sound on this one... The vocals are cleaner. I think there's also a bit less reverb - but the previous track wasn't overdone in that regard.

You'd sell out the place if you came here to play - they love this kind of music..... :D

Really great...... :cool:

ido1957 said:
Like the sound on this one... The vocals are cleaner. I think there's also a bit less reverb - but the previous track wasn't overdone in that regard.

You'd sell out the place if you came here to play - they love this kind of music..... :D

Really great...... :cool:
Thanks!

I played country for a long time (pedal steel for 27 years) and used to tour up in your neck of the woods. Calgary, Edmonton, Lethbridge, Grand Prairie and over in Vancouver. I love it up there!

reverb

pdlstl said:
Thanks to all who commented on my "Reverb?" post yesterday. I'm going to re-track the vocal per everyone's suggestions.

Here is another tune from the same project. Same reverb question and I'm also interested if there is any apparent clipping on the vocals.

Thanks for your help and for a great forum!

Honey, You Don't Know My Mind

Reverb sounded fine to me. I really like your sound. You've got a good vocal quality for this style. BTW after the banjo solo (nice job) the banjo player starts keeping time and it is a little too loud in the mix. IMHO . Otherwise, it sounds great!

pdlstl said:
Thanks!

I played country for a long time (pedal steel for 27 years) and used to tour up in your neck of the woods. Calgary, Edmonton, Lethbridge, Grand Prairie and over in Vancouver. I love it up there!
Ahh... now your screen name makes sense.

Tim

Timothy Lawler said:
Ahh... now your screen name makes sense.

Tim
What? Monkey didn't explain that one to you? He's slipping, Tim. Better get him some Nannas..... :D

Back