REVERB Dilema

t_chance

REVERB DilemMa

Right now I have a mediocre alEsis midiVERB IV. I have been saving up for a Lexicon M5** or TC unit, Now a Roland 330 popped up for around $225. You guys think I should spring for it, or keep on saving?

Last edited:
first of all

good to see someone who is as bad at spelling as i am.

second: reverb choice is a bit of a personal thing... but i think that the roland looks cool. i especially excited by anything that uses delta modulation instead of PCM encoding. i dont know why. guess cause i love effectron delays...

that 3D thing sounds like a pile of crap to me though...

on second thought

follow that keep saving advice.

i dont think that it will be much of an upgrade... just a step over.

might as well get a couple hundred more and get something that clearly blows your old reverb away, instead of just another flavor of the same sort of thing...

Thanks for the replies folks

That's really the answer I was looking for. I'll keep on saving, or trying to.

Yeah, keeping saving for the M-One... If you don't grab that 330, as it certainly isn't too shabby! As a matter of fact, anyone know someone who has one and wants to do a swap for something?

Hold out for a TC M-One. Best reverb out there for under 4 bills. I'm a long time Lexi fan, but the M-One slays the MPX.

Robert... Which MPX are you speaking of? I own the M-One and a MPX1. While the M-One is a very nice unit, the MPX1 sounds better. The MPX1 actually sounds better than my old PCM60...and that sounds wonderful.

SteveE9C6 said:
Robert... Which MPX are you speaking of? I own the M-One and a MPX1. While the M-One is a very nice unit, the MPX1 sounds better. The MPX1 actually sounds better than my old PCM60...and that sounds wonderful.
Do you have the M-One 'XL' or just the M-One?
The reverb algorithms are improved in the 'XL' version.

Besides reverbs are subjective... I tend to prefer the 'TC' sound myself.

YMMV ;)

I gotta agree with 'pundit' on that one...while lexicons are excellent units and sound great they also impart the 'lexicon sound' which is great if thats what you want...the TC stuff is a very different approach and while you can get a very deep and invasive reverb with one, they acually 'sit' in a mix much better than a lexi....less artificial...i use the m-one xl's...the m-one has great trashy drum reverbs though...sorta 70's vibe....

hey , ihave the mpx1 and the pcm 60 and the pcm fucking rocks!!! must have been used for all those awful 80's snares. its great. the 60 is better than the 91 by along way. perhaps you could find somthing in between the two, like an old pcm 70?

As long as that Roland is in good shape or better, be aware that is becoming a collectible piece of gear, in addition to being a fine reverb. (now nobody snipe him if it's on e-bay):)

I just bought a new (unused) Roland SRV-3030, the "offspring" of that unit BTW, haven't had a chance to take it out of the box yet
to use.

Chris

For those looking for a high end reverb sound in a project studio then the TC Reverb 4000 is about to be released.

It's basically a single engined stripped down TC M6000 which kicks some serious ass!

I think it may be around the $4K mark though, which is still serious dollars.... but if someone was to buy one and impulse sample all the algorithms... just send me the link! ;)

I think this will smoke a PCM-91!

I read the 4000 was out but I think it's a little out of my price range. I'm not that loaded (with dough) but it looks nice.

Frankly, I've had pretty good luck with TC Electronics M300, which is now down to $200. It works for me when I occasionally need reverb, which I admit is rare, because mostly I only use it on electric guitar, where I mostly get it from POD Pro. However, what I have found is that the M300 is an excellent A-D converter with the global bypass engaged, and it's actually not a bad compressor, even though the attack and release are fixed. At least the ratio and threshold are adjustable. I believe the M300 is actually one of the best buys on the market in inexpensive multi- fx boxes.-Richie

Back