Reverb.com

Snowman999

Has anyone here ever sold on reverb.com?

I listed my acoustic (it is too much guitar for me). Almost immediately I received an offer (great offer) with a note: Hello my dad wants to buy your post send pic to email address or txt him at number thank you

I was going to do it. Then I noticed there was a message. The message said Hello…I’m making an inquiry for my Dad and i have sent him the pictures, his interested in buying it Can you reach out to him on his Email: so both of you can discuss the purchase,Thank you.

That seemed odd. An offer and message from two different people asking me to contact them outside the site. Not that I mind selling outside any site. But, this seems more like a scam than people actually interested in the guitar.

Are they just looking for email addresses? I can't understand the reasoning. They're just too similar to be a coincidence.

Absolutely anything that seems off or unusual when dealing there (or anywhere else for that matter) is a huge red flag. I learned that early on.
Thanks. For some reason, I thought the site would be a little more professional. My first two bites looked like scams. Oh well... Hopefully someone will make an offer I'm not leary of.

I've never sold anything on these sites. If you sell off-site, you have no redress if you don't get paid.
There's often someone eager to overpay for your goods, and highly likely to be a scam.

I've never sold anything on these sites. If you sell off-site, you have no redress if you don't get paid.
There's often someone eager to overpay for your goods, and highly likely to be a scam.
I've heard that's the scam. You agree on a thousand dollars, and they send you two thousand from a stolen credit card. They ask you to refund a thousand. You do. They have a thousand. If you send the instrument you're sunk. The two thousand they sent you, gets taken back, because it wasn't the person's card. It's a good scam.

I have sold on reverb and they went smoothly. I also gave up selling on reverb because they are impossible to get a hold of when there
is any kind of dispute. I also waited for the money to be in my paypal account before I shipped.

Has anyone here ever sold on reverb.com?

Are they just looking for email addresses? I can't understand the reasoning. They're just too similar to be a coincidence.
Sold plenty of stuff on Reverb - first thing is what people say - never do an off site sale of any kind - I'd report them - Reverb takes it very seriously - and most like they will be banned or at the very least suspended - as for what they do - you do the sale off site - they get the gear shipped to a 'friend' because they are temporarily out of touch or some such nonsense - you get the money only there is a hold on it till the gear arrives (to 'protect' everyone) - Gear arrives - money doesn't - or they say the gear never showed up and want a refund - obviously the gear gets there and they are lying. - either way you get ripped off.

Sold plenty of stuff on Reverb - first thing is what people say - never do an off site sale of any kind - I'd report them - Reverb takes it very seriously - and most like they will be banned or at the very least suspended - as for what they do - you do the sale off site - they get the gear shipped to a 'friend' because they are temporarily out of touch or some such nonsense - you get the money only there is a hold on it till the gear arrives (to 'protect' everyone) - Gear arrives - money doesn't - or they say the gear never showed up and want a refund - obviously the gear gets there and they are lying. - either way you get ripped off.
I'm very careful about how I sell. It was strange that the first two both wanted me to speak to their fathers off site. The third person also sent their text address.

I've sold on ebay for years, and on craigslist. I will never get ripped off on something like this. I just don't want to waste my time. These people all seemed like scammers.

I'm very careful about how I sell. It was strange that the first two both wanted me to speak to their fathers off site. The third person also sent their text address.

I've sold on ebay for years, and on craigslist. I will never get ripped off on something like this. I just don't want to waste my time. These people all seemed like scammers.

They ARE all scammers.

I'm glad you didn't go for it. I tried to buy a truck with cash through Craigslist and as soon as I suggested we meet up at the DMV to do the paperwork and verify title, the seller and their listing disappeared from the face of the Earth. I ain't gonna meet up on some farm at 10 PM with a pocket full of cash. . . not this bass player.

I'm glad you didn't go for it. I tried to buy a truck with cash through Craigslist and as soon as I suggested we meet up at the DMV to do the paperwork and verify title, the seller and their listing disappeared from the face of the Earth. I ain't gonna meet up on some farm at 10 PM with a pocket full of cash. . . not this bass player.
Did they really want you to meet on a farm at 10pm?

Everything I've sold on craigslist, I do in a public parking lot. The Yum Yum donut shop in Quakerstown. I can't see being held up there. In this day and age, there is a possibility. The guitar is also on craigslist. Someone emailed about it, and I gave the info they asked for. Another email address responded to my response -

Thanks for returning my husband's message regarding your item. I'm satisfied with the price and the condition listed, kindly withdraw the advert from the list and consider it sold. I would have come in person for it but can't due to my tight work Schedule and my daughter getting married in a few weeks so we've been busy with the preparations. My husband will proceed in issuing a Certified Cashier's Check to you and when received and cleared your bank, We will make arrangements for the pick up. An additional $70 will be added to the original price for reservation till the check gets there.

I'll need the following information to overnight the Payment today.

Name to issue the payment to.......
Mailing Address to overnight the check to ......
Then Fine Asking price.... & the Cell # to contact you .....

Thank you in anticipation of your understanding and awaiting the information requested to overnight out through USPS and delivered to you within 48 hours.
Regards

I did respond: Sorry. Cash only, in person.

Did they really want you to meet on a farm at 10pm?

Everything I've sold on craigslist, I do in a public parking lot. The Yum Yum donut shop in Quakerstown. I can't see being held up there. In this day and age, there is a possibility. The guitar is also on craigslist. Someone emailed about it, and I gave the info they asked for. Another email address responded to my response -

Thanks for returning my husband's message regarding your item. I'm satisfied with the price and the condition listed, kindly withdraw the advert from the list and consider it sold. I would have come in person for it but can't due to my tight work Schedule and my daughter getting married in a few weeks so we've been busy with the preparations. My husband will proceed in issuing a Certified Cashier's Check to you and when received and cleared your bank, We will make arrangements for the pick up. An additional $70 will be added to the original price for reservation till the check gets there.

I'll need the following information to overnight the Payment today.

Name to issue the payment to.......
Mailing Address to overnight the check to ......
Then Fine Asking price.... & the Cell # to contact you .....

Thank you in anticipation of your understanding and awaiting the information requested to overnight out through USPS and delivered to you within 48 hours.
Regards

I did respond: Sorry. Cash only, in person.

This is obviously a SCAM as well.

Yeah. That was suspicious as hell right off. If I had gone there I probably would've been part of the next year's orange crop 🍊
Even if they were honest, the meeting place and time were idiotic. I would imagine, you'd have become fertilizer had you gone.

"Sorry. Cash only, in person. My boys Tony and Guido will meet you."

I always protect myself first, then the buyer. I always meet in a busy public parking lot. With the guitar, I could meet most anywhere there's other people. I couldn't carry a drum set into a mall.

I bought a drum set years ago. I used parts for a few songs, and they pretty much rotted away in the basement. I put them up for sale on craigslist, and actually made money on them. This set looks pristine. But, this is what my set looked like, only imagine it in really bad pieces. I never even changed the heads. I don't know why I bought them.
1691185889401.png

That's very much like the set I first played on. My stepdad was a retired big band drummer and had his set rigged up in a spare bedroom. I was 5 years old and he had given me a practice pad with a couple of sticks. I could never wrap my head around a practice pad, so I fiddled on his kit - I had to stand up to use the kick. It was awkward.

Back