Retrospectful

K-dub

When I first named the collection, it was a play on words, laughingly, at George Bush's "misunderestimate" - combining "Retro" w/ "Respectful".

Originally, the collection contained what I called my "throwback" tunes w/ a nod to the 60s ... but as with all things that are randomly formed and released during a certain period of productivity, not every song in that album adhered to that vision. The result was that the flow lacked cohesion and uniformity of design.

In revamping my collections, I thought, "Nobody does the singer songwriter style album anymore." - Think Cat Stevens, Simon and Garfunkel, Dan Fogelberg etc ... genre. Easy listening, acoustic based, solo performer type stuff that I used to spin on Sunday mornings while reading the paper.

Like the original release, I kept the opening and closing pieces of the collection - along with the needle hitting the record to start it and the familiar thump thump of it circling at the end.

In between I ripped most of the rest of it out and refashioned it into a collection reminiscent of the aforementioned artists.

As before, I've opened it all up for download for free.

Enjoy - and have a great weekend!

When I first named the collection, it was a play on words, laughingly, at George Bush's "misunderestimate" - combining "Retro" w/ "Respectful".

Originally, the collection contained what I called my "throwback" tunes w/ a nod to the 60s ... but as with all things that are randomly formed and released during a certain period of productivity, not every song in that album adhered to that vision. The result was that the flow lacked cohesion and uniformity of design.

In revamping my collections, I thought, "Nobody does the singer songwriter style album anymore." - Think Cat Stevens, Simon and Garfunkel, Dan Fogelberg etc ... genre. Easy listening, acoustic based, solo performer type stuff that I used to spin on Sunday mornings while reading the paper.

Like the original release, I kept the opening and closing pieces of the collection - along with the needle hitting the record to start it and the familiar thump thump of it circling at the end.

The first song 'Lessons In Life' sound remarkably like Paul McCartney - the Bass on 'Real LIfe' doesn't quite fit - but song sounds reminiscent of early David Bowie - on all the tracks - something is going on with the acoustic - the imaging is a bit weird - almost a Phase type problem - in places - Twilight Land has interesting phrasing on the Vocals - and the strings sound artificial to a degree- are they Synths?

Overall quite a collection of songs - makes a statement - get it's points across - recorded it quite well - Interesting concept with the scratchy record beginning and end.

The first song 'Lessons In Life' sound remarkably like Paul McCartney - the Bass on 'Real LIfe' doesn't quite fit - but song sounds reminiscent of early David Bowie - on all the tracks - something is going on with the acoustic - the imaging is a bit weird - almost a Phase type problem - in places - Twilight Land has interesting phrasing on the Vocals - and the strings sound artificial to a degree- are they Synths?

Overall quite a collection of songs - makes a statement - get it's points across - recorded it quite well - Interesting concept with the scratchy record beginning and end.
Yeah ... Real Life is a keyboard bass - and it IS clunky - a bit too linear behind everything, lacking in character.

I KNOW there's phasing going on in "Lesson in Life" - but that's intentional. I recorded stereo parts on two separate parts to create it. Not sure about the other songs.

The strings are synths on Twilight Land. I played with volume envelopes to better "humanize" them.

Thanks for the listen AND the thoughts!

Back