retro stereo mic?

kr236rk

Hi,

Can anybody tell me what type (impedance?) of mic the 1980s era cassette decks took please - I remember they had two separate, Right and Left jack plugs?

Many thanks,

Ric

Microphone Impedance

There are three general classifications for microphone impedance. Different manufacturers use slightly different guidelines but the classifications are roughly:
1.Low Impedance (less than 600Ω)
2.Medium Impedance (600Ω - 10,000Ω)
3.High Impedance (greater than 10,000Ω)

Note that some microphones have the ability to select from different impedance ratings

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/tech_support/pdfs/MC102_om.pdf

(Input A & B)
Microphone impedance: 10K Ohm or less
Input impedance: 20k Ohm

What's the nature of your question, a DIY project?
:spank::eek:;)

Thanks, I want to record some live audio onto cassette tape, but most decks come without mics, and many didn't have mic sockets anyway. Obviously I want the best cassette audio I can get so I will have to match the mic (impedance) pretty accurately to the deck i get - probably a retro JVC.

Attachments

• Technics RS-B555.jpg
    Technics RS-B555.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Technics RS-B57R.jpg
    Technics RS-B57R.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Technics RS-B47R.jpg
    Technics RS-B47R.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 58

Attachments

• Realistic Stereo Mic 33-919Aa.jpg
    Realistic Stereo Mic 33-919Aa.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Realistic Stereo Mic 33-1065.jpg
    Realistic Stereo Mic 33-1065.jpg
    424.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Audio Technica Pro 2AX.jpg
    Audio Technica Pro 2AX.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 58
portastudio?

Thanks. I may go in for a 4 track cassette 'portastudio' - because this will give me more recording latitude - i wonder if those stereo mics will work with those as well please?

Man. I used to own that Technics dbx deck. Made great sounding, high quality recordings that you could only play back on itself (couldn't find other decks with dbx at the time). Great deck.

The jap kit of that era used unbalanced medium impedance mics, exactly the same as all the common ones today. So any dynamic with pins 1 and 3 shorted with audio to the tip from pin 2 will work fine. My very first sm58 worked fine on my technics cassette.

The jap kit of that era used unbalanced medium impedance mics, exactly the same as all the common ones today. So any dynamic with pins 1 and 3 shorted with audio to the tip from pin 2 will work fine. My very first sm58 worked fine on my technics cassette.

Thanks, wouldn't it just be easier to source some unbalanced medium impedance mics on the Bay though - or are the modifications you suggest fairly straightforward?

Thanks, wouldn't it just be easier to source some unbalanced medium impedance mics on the Bay though - or are the modifications you suggest fairly straightforward?

Low impedance source into high impedance load tends to work fine. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you try something and it clearly doesn't work. The modification he's talking about is just how the cable is built, not something you do to the mic: XLR-F to TS, with pin 2 to tip and pin 1 and pin 3 to sleeve.

Thanks. I think the best thing is if I report back when the hardware is being put through it's paces. What are the recommended tapes btw - ferric please?

That silver Realistic mic works quite well. I have two of them, I haven't used them in years, but I used to record all band rehearsals and shows with them. I also used to use that mic and a kick mic for recording drums. Great stereo mic.

Back