Respect My Soul

BrutalHero

I am really new to singing, and I try to improve everyday.
I don't have any good equipment as of yet. I started thinking of lyrics for fun and I thought about singing them
Don't judge me too harsh :D
I know I need to work on my pronunciation but any other tips you could suggest?
I use Reaper to Edit my songs

Both Songs Recorded on a Headset Microphone (Razer Kraken).
All Lyrics were written by me.

Lyrics.. Because I know you can't understand : "Repsect My Soul" I was keeping up with you. When I showed up and hit the cl - Pastebin.com

Last edited:
You use the word "fock" an awful lot for the clean version of the rap. :D

You really ought to get a better mic. If your performance is close to where you want it, that's the next big thing holding you back. Right now, you're mostly getting middle-highs with almost no lows (body) or highs (air).

You use the word "fock" an awful lot for the clean version of the rap. :D

You really ought to get a better mic. If your performance is close to where you want it, that's the next big thing holding you back. Right now, you're mostly getting middle-highs with almost no lows (body) or highs (air).

Thank you are lot for the feedback ! I noticed that too :D and I will try to lower the amount of "focks.

Could you suggest me a Entry Level microphone ? I don't have a big budget atm. around 100-150euro.
If you could check my Full Song that I updated Called " Respect My Soul" I would appreciate some feedback on that too, because it's my first fully completed song :)

And could you explain me a little bit more about the middle-highs.

High-mids as in the upper end of the middle of the EQ range.
The low to low-mid range (~100-600 Hz) gives your instrument body and power, but it's also where mud comes from.
The middle range (~600-3k Hz) is where clarity comes from, but if it's too over-powering, your voice starts to sound like an AM radio
The high range (~3k+ Hz) gives air and brightness, but can also make things brittle or exacerbate sibilants.

As for mics, I might suggest starting with an SM-58. It's a good work horse mic; it can record almost any instrument "well enough". Do you have an interface too, or have you been recording the headset mic directly into your PC's motherboard?

High-mids as in the upper end of the middle of the EQ range.
The low to low-mid range (~100-600 Hz) gives your instrument body and power, but it's also where mud comes from.
The middle range (~600-3k Hz) is where clarity comes from, but if it's too over-powering, your voice starts to sound like an AM radio
The high range (~3k+ Hz) gives air and brightness, but can also make things brittle or exacerbate sibilants.

As for mics, I might suggest starting with an SM-58. It's a good work horse mic; it can record almost any instrument "well enough". Do you have an interface too, or have you been recording the headset mic directly into your PC's motherboard?

I directly record through the software reaper. I was planning on buying an interface but first I want to get a good microphone.
Could you please check my Respect My Soul song that I updated the link on ? I would appreciate some feedback on that.

Thanks for explaining on the Highs-mids :) I'll work on that.

The music is pretty cool. The vocal has problems. It's all mids as Steve mentioned. That's not always bad and an aesthetic decision, but one I feel doesn't work in this song. What's more an issue is the delivery. You are too hesitant for rap, and it's like I can hear you thinking about your delivery (like "I'm going to sound angry at this part" type of thing). So in that sense it lacks genuineness to my ear. If you're mad, be mad!

Mics to consider are SM57, SM58, Shure 545, EV RE-11/10/15/16 (all are good). There are other options, but these are probably the best, sub $100 dynamics out there and will cover the entire vocal range.

I thought it was pretty cool.

Two things I would watch out for.

The tempo is a bit too fast. You have the ability to get the words out, which is an accomplishment. But at this tempo they get blurred together. If it were me, I'd slow it down 4-5 bpms.

The other thing is the tone on the piano and vocal. They both have a bit too much hi midrange bite IMO. Like in the 2400hz range.

Some of the posters above are suggesting a sure SM58, which is cool, but I've seen decent condenser mics for around $100 as well. example Used Oktava MK-319 Condensor Microphone | Microphones | Music Go Round Albuquerque. You would need an interface with phantom power, so the whole deal may be $200 US.
I agree that the tempo could be slowed down a bit for you.
Also, this genre almost demands that you double, or even triple track your vocals (or use a plugin that could randomize the original. and provide a second take).

I thought it was pretty cool.

Two things I would watch out for.

The tempo is a bit too fast. You have the ability to get the words out, which is an accomplishment. But at this tempo they get blurred together. If it were me, I'd slow it down 4-5 bpms.

The other thing is the tone on the piano and vocal. They both have a bit too much hi midrange bite IMO. Like in the 2400hz range.

Thank you so much for your feedback! My current BPM is 120 . And I kinda feel that it's a little too fast too I will try to fix that.
Once again Thanks :)

Some of the posters above are suggesting a sure SM58, which is cool, but I've seen decent condenser mics for around $100 as well. example Used Oktava MK-319 Condensor Microphone | Microphones | Music Go Round Albuquerque. You would need an interface with phantom power, so the whole deal may be $200 US.
I agree that the tempo could be slowed down a bit for you.
Also, this genre almost demands that you double, or even triple track your vocals (or use a plugin that could randomize the original. and provide a second take).

Thank you for your suggestions. Would you suggest a good pop filter? That's not overpriced for no reason? I I will try to find a plugin like that thanks a lot ! :)

The music is pretty cool. The vocal has problems. It's all mids as Steve mentioned. That's not always bad and an aesthetic decision, but one I feel doesn't work in this song. What's more an issue is the delivery. You are too hesitant for rap, and it's like I can hear you thinking about your delivery (like "I'm going to sound angry at this part" type of thing). So in that sense it lacks genuineness to my ear. If you're mad, be mad!

Mics to consider are SM57, SM58, Shure 545, EV RE-11/10/15/16 (all are good). There are other options, but these are probably the best, sub $100 dynamics out there and will cover the entire vocal range.

Thanks for all your suggestions! You helped me a lot :) I will wait a little on getting that new mic and then work on my vocals! thanks once again!

Back