Replication or Duplication

Mixxit12

How Now Brown Cow
So the other CD Duplication thread got me thinking. How do you guys feel about replicated CDs versus duplicated CDs? I usually tell my clients and artists that I think replicated CDs look more professional. There's something about the green side of a duplicated disk that just screams "DEMO" to me. Because they're CD-Rs I just feel as if they look like they were made at someone's house. I tell them that if your going for a small run then duplication may be the way to go but if they can swing it, getting the replication package will help legitmize the project. Am I nutty? Am I the only one that cares about this kind of thing? Thoughts? Opinions? Ideas?

Its probably better to get them replicated, since Ive known some people who have players that for whatever reason don't work with CD-Rs... its rare, but for example, a family member has an Oldsmobile Alero that the CD player always skips on when it tries to play burned CDs.

Again, this is probably infrequent, but at least a small support for your argument :)

Aside from that, I do notice when I get a copy of someone's "professional" CD and it looks like a CD-R they burned on their desktop, with a label stuck on. Even with a printed top, it is something that will stand out. Of course, how many consumers would care about this if the thing played and sounded good? Probably not many, but still.

Back