Replacement tuners for 72' Fender Deluxe RI

pdadda

Captain Sea Boots
I finally have a little bit of cash to upgrade the crappy tuners on my 72' Deluxe RI. Any suggestions on which ones to get? I don't want to have to drill larger holes, and I don't want tuners small enough that I have to fill in some of the hole. Do the locking tuners make much of a difference on guitars without tremolo?

Klusons should fit..
yours has the backplate with screws top and bottom of each tuner, correct?

I like locking tuners because the string changes are faster..
and you don't have to worry about calculating the length for winding them on..
too many windings around the post and they stretch and detune.
you don't have to loop the string under itself around the post.. just stick it
through snip it and tune.
handy.
don't cost much more either.

TWANG

Kluson's should fit the hole, but the screws probably won't line up, and they won't be all that much of an upgrade.

Two things - if you really want to upgrade your gears, do it for real and get some Gotoh 510's, or at least some Grovers or Schallers. Yes, you will have to enlarge the tuner holes - who cares. That is not now, nor will it ever be, a collectible instrument, and the only reason to keep things original is for collector value (which is kind of stupid to begin with, but that's a whole other issue). And of course, even if you do someday decide to go back to the original gears, you can just use a set of Stew-Mac's conversion bushings, which are almost certainly better than what came with the guitar to begin with.

Second, don't bother upgrading your gears unless they are broken. If you are having tuning problems, it is NOT because of your gears. More likely, you need to have your nut adjusted properly, or you need to learn how to tune a guitar (tune UP to the note, never down - when you tune down you are putting slack into the post, and it will go out of tune that much faster). The gears just aren't the problem. That money could be much more usefully spent somewhere else on your guitar. Better pickups, a new pedal, or even save it towards a new amp or guitar.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

+1 on the 510's. I don't use anything else unless asked.

Ditto also on the tuners causing stability problems. It just doesn't happen at least not unless they are so shot that you can't get it in tune to start with.

Back