Replacement for Digi 002 Rack

I've slowly come to the admission that the preamps on my faithful old Digi 002 Rack are failing on me. Given that the computer I'm running it on is still on XP and ProTools 6.4 LE, I figure it's time for an upgrade. I got a new Dell running Windows 8, and will likely get the newest ProTools soon, since LE 6.4 likely won't run on Windows 8.

So the question becomes, what would a fitting replacement for the Digi 002 Rack be? At the time I got it, I was recording full drums & had aspirations of doing field recording. I now have access to a proper studio for multiple-input stuff like drums, and no field recording is on the horizon. Basically what I need this interface to do is to record a max of maybe 2-3 inputs at a time at my house in high fidelity (comparable to what the 002 provided when I got it in '05), and for it to be compatible with ProTools.

Ideas are welcome.

Hey.
PT9,10 and 11 are compatible with pretty much any interface, so the field is wide open.
2 channel and 8 channel interfaces are easy to find. Anything in between can be tricker.
I know tascam had a little unit with 6 preamps; Someone in the free adds section was shifting one recently.

Maybe it's still there?

Research PT before you buy. I imagine if you bought 10 now, you'd get a free upgrade to 11.
Sounds pointless, but 11 doesn't support RTAS since the move to AAX.
That means no waves plugins, amongst others, for now.

They might be giving a 10 license free with 11 for that reason. I'm not certain.

I've been looking at some Presonus units interface only with 8 inputs/channels for about $299. I would think if you are going to do any drum recordings, 4 would be the minimum required channels.

You're right, this one say around for awhile.

I use to live in Ft. Worth for many years, up by Western Center (North of the 820 loop) and in Burleson for a bit. Where you located?

Good info y'all, many thanks.

David, I'm as far west as you can go and still technically be in Fort Worth. Off White Settlement Road near the county line. It's a fine music town these days, believe it or not.

Good info y'all, many thanks.

David, I'm as far west as you can go and still technically be in Fort Worth. Off White Settlement Road near the county line. It's a fine music town these days, believe it or not.
I worked at the bomber factory for many years. I have a real good idea where you are. Bought my first new car at the Ford dealer down the road (if they are still there).

The problem of the digi 002 is the converter. I use the Prism Sound Orpheus.
I would choose some RME stuff if Orpheus is too expensive.

The US-800 isn't there anymore. I sold it locally. I would recommend the Tascam US-1800 though. It may be more than you need. But It leaves you room for expansion and its real cheap.

I think I didn't understand this right, and Jimmy69 can correct this, but the 4 outs are analog outs, but the USB is 16 channels.

I don't have one, but it is hard to tell from the specs they show.

I'm not sure what you mean, but I also don't get why it says 16/4
It has 16 inputs (14 analog + spdif) and 6 outputs (four analog +spdif).
There's also a pair of main outputs, but I guess they mirror analog 1+2?

They're all transmitted in, or out, over USB.

Right, some interfaces will have multiple inputs, but only show/transmit a lower amount of channels over USB, I think the TASCAM shows all 16 in the USB interface (16 individual channels into the DAW, am I making sense?)

Right, some interfaces will have multiple inputs, but only show/transmit a lower amount of channels over USB, I think the TASCAM shows all 16 in the USB interface (16 individual channels into the DAW, am I making sense?)

Yeah, the tascam has 16 discreet inputs over USB. Ie. Each channel shows up separately in the DAW.

I guess you're thinking of some of the USB mixers that have many ins, but the USB transfer is stereo?

I think the TASCAM shows all 16 in the USB interface (16 individual channels into the DAW, am I making sense?)

Yep. That is correct. The 'Monitor Outs' are actually a mirror of the headphone output, at line level. Combination of outs 1/2 and input signal, adjustable by the Mix knob on the face.

Yeah, the tascam has 16 discreet inputs over USB. Ie. Each channel shows up separately in the DAW.

I guess you're thinking of some of the USB mixers that have many ins, but the USB transfer is stereo?

Yes and you have to read the fine print to know that.

Back