Repetitive music: Its all been done before?

kratos

I see loads of new artists and bands forming left, right and centre claiming to be the next big thing.
Do you think any artist/band/rapper/DJ can truly be different and stand out as unique these days? Or is music lacking innovation and that we are stuck/used to the same generic music?

Wanna know your thoughts on this.

I think artists can be unique to a point, technically probably every chord progression has been used at least 1000 times. This is just something that you can't get around, most popular songs use the Am-F-C-G progression, can you blame them that the human ear finds that progression attractive? On a higher level, yes music is starting to blend but it is possible to stand out through lyricism and overall instrumental changes. Of course some "indie" bands take it to an extreme by employing ridiculous progressions and overall terrible recording quality in order to define themselves as "different"; this honestly is our culture now, we have to live with it.

But on the positive side, I do think that it is possible for an artist to be unique; I feel that there are still musical territories that have yet to be treaded, and the key to reaching them is through honest lyricism and an un-plagued brain in terms of popular demand.

It depends upon what you define as unique. We're all playing the same instruments and using the same sounds and creating music in a widely used frameworks/genres.

Personally I don't think I've ever used Am-F-C-G or I-IV-V structures, and usually don't have identical choruses and play lots of strange inversions of chords I couldn't possibly name... but I'm still making pop/rock music and its easily identifiable as such.

Unique? No way. Different? I hope so...

The question leaves out the audience. People went to Woodstock because of the Vietnam war and the performers fed off that vibe. I think we live in a rather un-imagitive time right now. Maybe a bored audience are boring people IDK? Something has to be introduced (i.e. technology, lifestyle etc.) that brings a stronger interest/motivation to the listeners. What that is, I wish I knew ???

Fuck the audience. Do whatever you want for yourself. You are the boss. It's your music. No one elses. If you find some listeners, good. If not, at least you're not some suckass sellout.

Do whatever you want for yourself. You are the boss. It's your music. No one elses. .

That is what listeners think. Even if you are only playing for yourself, you are the audience. My prediction is that it is the environment of the listener that will make the difference in the future. People will "program" their own enjoyment, it wont be in the hands of individual entertainers.

Ecclisiastes said:
What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.

There always has been and always will be a lot of repetition in music. And there always has been and always will be something clever and imaginative.

There always has been and always will be a lot of repetition in music. And there always has been and always will be something clever and imaginative.
I think that sometimes we place unnecesary emphasis on "newness" and innovation. People that write, record and play songs generally want to do just that. Maybe as one comes to record, new things might fly into proceedings, but by and large, I don't find newness to be premeditated as such.
When certain people heard X music, and were motivated by it, they sought to replicate it. Alot of those early 60s English rock bands didn't realize how innovative they were. They thought they were playing the blues. But it was their version of it, through their filter and sounded little like the "real" thing. But in the process they hit on something unique. But that wasn't the intention. Few people actually try to invent a new form of music.
So with 13 notes and a planet of billions and many centuries, repetition is inevitable.
Repetition does not mean or even necesarilly imply rubbish, cop out/sell out, lack of creativity etc. It may do, but it's not a given. And people will always be creative. I remember in one of his early posts, CFox saying something to the effect that it had all been done, that all the adult nursery rhymes had been written. Maybe. Maybe not. I hear songs from people on HR that do not "break new ground" musically. But I don't look for breaking of new ground. I look for songs that I enjoy. And there are lots of folk here that write lovely songs. They may employ the same sort of structures of a thousand million that have gone before. They may utilize the same relatively narrow band of instruments that have been well worn over the last 50 years.
But so what ? For me, the issue is not "is this song derivative or influenced by whosoever ?", but "do I like the song ?" and from that point of view, I think you'll long have both repetition and creative songwriting and recording and good songs ~ and the vice is also versa.

Fuck the audience. Do whatever you want for yourself. You are the boss. It's your music. No one elses. If you find some listeners, good. If not, at least you're not some suckass sellout.

I'm down with this, in a sense. Play what your head/heart writes. Uhm... fuck those suckass sellouts, yeah! ;)

:cool:

Last edited:
I believe bands are creating new music all the time.
However this new music is of course inspired by old music, so the roots of the new is in the old.
But slowly the world of music is leaning towards Pop bullshit.
The new wave of Justin Beiber, Usher, Chris Brown, Rihanna...... (it goes on)
"music" is contaminating the industry. - it can be debatable whether it can actually be classified as music.
These musicians without a doubt have talent but this talent is wasted in multi national corporation brainwashing.
The artists have no control, the companies own them.

I believe bands are creating new music all the time.

But slowly the world of music is leaning towards Pop bullshit.
The one problem I have with this view is that it looks at 'the charts' and assumes that this is where it's at and therefore whatever makes the 'mainstream' is the total sum of "music".
It isn't. There is lots of music out there that lots of people enjoy of many different shades that very possibly most people haven't even heard of......and may never do so.

Play what your head/heart writes. :

I agree, trying to write with an audience or "sales" in mind rarely/never produces good material, but there is a balance. Eddie Van Halen said Ted Templeman took their songs and did them his way. IMO Van Halen was lucky he did, I doubt they would have gotten anywhere had they come out playin progressive fusiony shit.

Like Grim is saying they sounded original enough being themselves.

Listen to Hendrix in 65-66, his style was so bizzare it was absurd, but later on when he played a cheesy 3 chord pop tune, he was still unique, but more acceptable. Had he only induldged his own need, the world would have missed out on his greatness.

Yes I completely agree with you.
But the charts have the most coverage and therefore they are most representable as the "music of the time".
This is so wrong because its not real music, people need to open their eyes to the huge world of music not just the repetitive pop crap.

Theres a lot of ways to use the same tired ass chords. What makes distinction, I think, is real lyrics instead of cheesy pop cliches, the genuine quality of a singer singing their own song (as opposed to a nice voice, processed to all getout, singing a 'song' built by a team of professional songwriters turning up the 'soul' knob aka aguillera to make it seem heartfelt) and the way those three chords are knocked around by the actual musicians makes some 1-4-5's sound a lot more interesting than other 1-4-5s.

I've said before: rock is 3 chords and an attitude. The attitude makes or breaks it.

What is it if it has 13 chords, 3 bridges, 17 minutes, four black girl singers, an electric mandolin, a long instrumental passage, lots of changes......and attitude ? :D

As long as it has the attitude man. good point though. Sounds complicated. I need to go listen to smoke on the water now...

Back