"Repeat As Needed" - Psychedelic thing

stratmonkee

Here is a thing Ive been working on recently ...lots of tracks , not sure if they are mixing well...particularly a faux organ track using a ehx c9 pedal, and several string/cello/mellotron tracks at end courtesy of a mel9 pedal. Thoughts/feedback much appreciated...

The cross-rhythm thing - you got away with it - and it works really well. It's DSOTM scale, and reminiscent of that feel, but it's not like they did it. Interesting. You could have reintroduced or varied the intro vocal in the middle if you wanted. Or sung something. Or recited poetry. Or philosophy. The tune is big and spacey and strong enough to support just about anything. You got a choir handy?

Mix comment: it works through the Avantone, but sounds way better through the VXT8s. Good work.

The thing with the rhythm - it was OK and kind of cool. But I probably would have gotten out of it quicker than you did at the beginning. Going back to it was cool and done more sparingly.

I liked the bass. Strong but not boomy.

Guitars sounded nice and clear. No complaints.

A bit heavy on the reverb for my tastes.

The cross-rhythm thing - you got away with it - and it works really well. It's DSOTM scale, and reminiscent of that feel, but it's not like they did it. Interesting. You could have reintroduced or varied the intro vocal in the middle if you wanted. Or sung something. Or recited poetry. Or philosophy. The tune is big and spacey and strong enough to support just about anything. You got a choir handy?

Mix comment: it works through the Avantone, but sounds way better through the VXT8s. Good work.
Thanks Dobro, this is actually going to be a kind of transitional piece between more vocal type songs. I am thinking about adding a little something in the middle , like some spoken word stuff.
The thing with the rhythm - it was OK and kind of cool. But I probably would have gotten out of it quicker than you did at the beginning. Going back to it was cool and done more sparingly.

I liked the bass. Strong but not boomy.

Guitars sounded nice and clear. No complaints.

A bit heavy on the reverb for my tastes.
Hi TripleM! My inspiration for that double drum thing is seeing Genesis live, late 70's....the instrumental stuff they would do with Chester Thompson and Phil Collins on dual drum kits was amazing live and made a lasting impression .... very tough to duplicate however with drum loops :>). Agree about the reverb, going to back it down a bit. Thanks for listening!

The drums seem to be dragging at the start, could they be nudged forward a bit? Love that fat warm tone of whatever that is. Wow crazy good guitar lead at 1.10 & again 5.15, fab tone. Second listen the drums come right after about 30 seconds. Then they seem to back off again around 2.15 for a bit. Held my interest for the whole 7+ minutes which is no mean feat. Builds really well, got kind of an epic quality to the last couple of minutes. Very cool jam, nice job

Back