Repair for DR-05X

Ramrod250

I live near Cincinnati and recently purchased a used DR-05X that has a damaged LINE OUT port. Looks like it took a direct hit, and it shattered the plastic housing for the plug. No other issues with the unit. Is there a shop near me that could do a repair on this, without costing me as much as the unit itself? Appreciate any guidance on this.

I live near Cincinnati and recently purchased a used DR-05X that has a damaged LINE OUT port. Looks like it took a direct hit, and it shattered the plastic housing for the plug. No other issues with the unit. Is there a shop near me that could do a repair on this, without costing me as much as the unit itself? Appreciate any guidance on this.
You can always find a competent amp tech.

It’s highly likely that the Jack is soldered right to the PCB which is no different than most mass produced modern amps.
They deal with this all the time.

Whoever does the work should check there’s no damage to the board itself from the blow.

FWIW, The Tascam store on Amazon has the DR05x for $100 right now, so that's something to be aware of as you pursue a repair outlet. Depending on the damage, a repair could easily be more than buying a new unit. Techs these days seem to be charging about $80 just to look at something, and that's applied to any repairs.

FWIW, The Tascam store on Amazon has the DR05x for $100 right now, so that's something to be aware of as you pursue a repair outlet. Depending on the damage, a repair could easily be more than buying a new unit. Techs these days seem to be charging about $80 just to look at something, and that's applied to any repairs.
Yes, that's my thought behind all this: the cost of the repair could be more than the unit. This is strictly to be used for recording backup audio, so in theory I don't *Have* to use line out.

You can always find a competent amp tech.

It’s highly likely that the Jack is soldered right to the PCB which is no different than most mass produced modern amps.
They deal with this all the time.

Whoever does the work should check there’s no damage to the board itself from the blow.
Thanks. I did disassemble the unit and saw that the damage is all to the plastic; the contacts are out of alignment now, but I can wiggle a plug around and it still is functional.

Thanks. I did disassemble the unit and saw that the damage is all to the plastic; the contacts are out of alignment now, but I can wiggle a plug around and it still is functional.
Since that's the line/headphone output, I wonder if it was dropped with a pair of headphones plugged in. In any case, some reinforcing and superglue might be worth trying. The main reason I would try to have a line out is use for monitoring the setup. Remember, the opposite side of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is "If it's already broken, what's to lose by trying to fix it?" 😜

Does the DR-05 use an MTR/FAT32 partition scheme like the SP006 and 008? I haven't used any of the Tascam hand helds, I have a Zoom H4n and it records straight to WAV or MP3 via FAT32 partition. No conversion necessary.

Unfortunately they are all in northern Ohio (200+ miles from me). Adding shipping to a service call would be cost-prohibitive.
I was suprised to see they were all around Cleveland and nothing down in the Cinci/Dayton area. I wonder why...

Since that's the line/headphone output, I wonder if it was dropped with a pair of headphones plugged in. In any case, some reinforcing and superglue might be worth trying. The main reason I would try to have a line out is use for monitoring the setup. Remember, the opposite side of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is "If it's already broken, what's to lose by trying to fix it?" 😜

Does the DR-05 use an MTR/FAT32 partition scheme like the SP006 and 008? I haven't used any of the Tascam hand helds, I have a Zoom H4n and it records straight to WAV or MP3 via FAT32 partition. No conversion necessary.

I was suprised to see they were all around Cleveland and nothing down in the Cinci/Dayton area. I wonder why...
I think that's exactly what happened: dropped with headphones in. The plastic was shattered into 3 or 4 pieces, so it took quite a hit, and the outermost crack is at an angle. Unfortunately it was cracked so badly that I couldn't dry-fit it and then superglue it back together. I took out all of the plastic and can insert a plug, though it's a sloppy fit (of course) but with some wiggling around, it will make contact and the playback is fine. I might even hard-wire a plug in place, if it comes to that.

It records in WAV or MP3, though I use WAV. I run these as backups to my Rodecaster Pro or Zoom P4. Great unit for the price.

Back