Rented flat - sounds awful - help!

jamtheguitarman

I just moved into a rented flat a few months ago, its a two bedroom so the spare room is a dedicated studio.

Unfortunately, its sounds god damn horrifically horrifyingly bad! Ive been using headphones since I moved in, its just unusable.

The bass is just a boomy mess frankly, it overwhelms all the other frequencies. The worst place to sit in the room is also exactly where I work from. If I move back towards the rear wall the bass becomes less boomy (still not good though).

The flat is a new build so the walls are pretty thin. The walls behind the speakers and behind me (both lead to other rooms in my flat) are made out of some plasterboard'ish material (I have no idea about materials), really hollow sounding. The walls to the sides are thicker, with a window in the right and a large built-in cupboard in the left.
The floor is carpeted.
I can feel the bass vibrating through the floor in my feet, at low volumes. It sounds to me like the major problem is the reflections on the front wall behind the monitors. The back of the monitors are 19cm away from the wall, I could move the desk further away from the wall (although less aesthetically pleasing!).

Dimensions: (cm)
295x290 (+ 96x70 door outcove)
252 - height

Pics:

I'm only bothered about achieving a usable room for mixing, that's it. The problem of course is its a rented flat which means I'm limited to non-destructive work.

What can I do?

Who knew I had it so good with the old bedroom studio!:rolleyes:

Thank you very much for any help.

Seems as though we're in the same boat.
My room is plaster and lath and it's getting cold and damp here. Had to move the whole shebang to our living room.
Luckily my wife uses the recording gear too so all is good...fer now.

Hang drapes and quilts?

Get a pair of wireless headphones and ONLY listen thru them?

MOVE???

Dimensions: (cm)
295x290 (+ 96x70 door outcove)
252 - height
The dimensions are a SERIOUS problem. Understand this fact. Wavelengths have dimensions. The term "waveLENGTH means exactly what it implys. And when these dimensions match or even come close to the THREE dimensions in your room, they cause resonances at those frequencys. To give a simple explanation, these resonaces are called modal resonance, and are in all 3 axis of the room. When one or more dimensions of the room are the same or even close, these RESONACES are exiced in ALL three axis's of the room. Your dimensions of this room are very close to being a cube. It will be EXTREMELY difficult to kill these resonances. Lets look at why.

Your longest dimension is 295cm(116.125") will have the strongest mode at
343hz. This is in the LOW MID frequency band...hence the "boominess". The other dimensions are so close, they will reinforce this frequency as well as frequencies close to it, in ALL THREE AXIS.

Your BEST defence strategy is to BITE THE BULLET and allot your next budget spend for the studio on ABSORPTION MATERIALS...ie...RIGID FIBERGLASS PANELS such as 4" thick Owens Corning 703. For a MAXIMUM defence, do a search on corner SUPERCHUNKS, in ALL corners, from floor to ceiling, and even some STRADDLING the WALL/CEILING intersections. Placeing 2" thick 2'x2' or 2'x4' panels in a checkerboard fashion on ALL WALLS AND CEILING will not only give you good broadband absorption, it will give you a modicum of diffusion as well.

Please understand, this explanation was extremely simplified, but the solution is fairly direct and well understood in the recording community. Not only that, but your speaker placement and mixiong position in relation to the front wall has a bearing as well, but no time to get into it now. Maybe some others can chime in.

For more info read these.
http://www.realtraps.com/info.htm
http://forum.studiotips.com/viewforum.php?f=8

Back